How to restore explorer.exe functionality?? (NOT Internet Explorer) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to restore explorer.exe functionality?? (NOT Internet Explorer) - Microsoft Windows ; Does anyone know how to restore "explorer.exe" functionality?? My "explorer.exe" starts to load and then flashes a normal display window for a split second and then it disappears. No error msg, no log entry, etc. The file system seems to ...

  1. How to restore explorer.exe functionality?? (NOT Internet Explorer)

    Does anyone know how to restore "explorer.exe" functionality??

    My "explorer.exe" starts to load and then flashes a normal display
    window for a split second and then it disappears. No error msg, no
    log entry, etc. The file system seems to be just fine. This problem
    began when in installed some video DVD burning software, didn't
    like it and so removed it. After that, explorer no longer worked.

    My UNIX utilities work fine and I downloaded a shareware pgm
    called ExplorerXP, which works fine (and I'm using it now and
    almost like it better than explorer, except for 2 functions), so
    either the problem really is that explorer is hosed or some file
    system function which only explorer uses is hosed. ;-)

    I've tried about everything anyone has suggested, including
    things that I KNOW have absolutely nothing to do with it --
    like spyware/adware killer software, etc.
    I suspect these people thought I was referring to "internet
    explorer", rather than the Windoze file system explorer
    application.

    I have even subscribed to one of those online help sites
    (I'll never do that again), where they had many irrelevant
    suggestions, but no solution. ;-)

    I do not want to have to reinstall this machine, because I
    have over 100 applications on it, I'd have to reinstall, as
    well (not a pretty thought),
    So, does anyone have any idea which files I need to locate
    on my original Win2k CD, to restore explorer.exe and
    all its dynamic modules (and how)?? I'm thinking this will
    fix the problem for me. At least I hope it will.

    oldsoul
    ---------------

  2. Re: How to restore explorer.exe functionality?? (NOT Internet Explorer)

    You may want to restore your Win2k to the last good configuration as
    follows:

    To start Windows 2000 using the last known good configuration
    1. Click Options, and then click Print to print these
    instructions. They will not be available after you shut down your
    computer in step 2.
    2. Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    3. Click Restart, and then click OK.
    4. When you see the message Please select the operating system to
    start, press F8.
    5. Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration,
    and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will
    function.
    6. Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then
    press ENTER.
    Notes
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to
    recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be
    incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by
    corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows 2000
    restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet
    only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:34:51 -0500, oldsoul
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to restore "explorer.exe" functionality??
    >
    >My "explorer.exe" starts to load and then flashes a normal display
    >window for a split second and then it disappears. No error msg, no
    >log entry, etc. The file system seems to be just fine. This problem
    >began when in installed some video DVD burning software, didn't
    >like it and so removed it. After that, explorer no longer worked.
    >
    >My UNIX utilities work fine and I downloaded a shareware pgm
    >called ExplorerXP, which works fine (and I'm using it now and
    >almost like it better than explorer, except for 2 functions), so
    >either the problem really is that explorer is hosed or some file
    >system function which only explorer uses is hosed. ;-)
    >
    >I've tried about everything anyone has suggested, including
    >things that I KNOW have absolutely nothing to do with it --
    >like spyware/adware killer software, etc.
    >I suspect these people thought I was referring to "internet
    >explorer", rather than the Windoze file system explorer
    >application.
    >
    >I have even subscribed to one of those online help sites
    >(I'll never do that again), where they had many irrelevant
    >suggestions, but no solution. ;-)
    >
    >I do not want to have to reinstall this machine, because I
    >have over 100 applications on it, I'd have to reinstall, as
    >well (not a pretty thought),
    >So, does anyone have any idea which files I need to locate
    >on my original Win2k CD, to restore explorer.exe and
    >all its dynamic modules (and how)?? I'm thinking this will
    >fix the problem for me. At least I hope it will.
    >
    >oldsoul
    >---------------

  3. Re: How to restore explorer.exe functionality?? (NOT Internet Explorer)

    oldsoul wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to restore "explorer.exe" functionality??
    >
    > My "explorer.exe" starts to load and then flashes a normal display
    > window for a split second and then it disappears. No error msg, no
    > log entry, etc. The file system seems to be just fine. This problem
    > began when in installed some video DVD burning software, didn't
    > like it and so removed it. After that, explorer no longer worked.
    >
    > My UNIX utilities work fine and I downloaded a shareware pgm
    > called ExplorerXP, which works fine (and I'm using it now and
    > almost like it better than explorer, except for 2 functions), so
    > either the problem really is that explorer is hosed or some file
    > system function which only explorer uses is hosed. ;-)
    >
    > I've tried about everything anyone has suggested, including
    > things that I KNOW have absolutely nothing to do with it --
    > like spyware/adware killer software, etc.
    > I suspect these people thought I was referring to "internet
    > explorer", rather than the Windoze file system explorer
    > application.
    >
    > I have even subscribed to one of those online help sites
    > (I'll never do that again), where they had many irrelevant
    > suggestions, but no solution. ;-)
    >
    > I do not want to have to reinstall this machine, because I
    > have over 100 applications on it, I'd have to reinstall, as
    > well (not a pretty thought),
    > So, does anyone have any idea which files I need to locate
    > on my original Win2k CD, to restore explorer.exe and
    > all its dynamic modules (and how)?? I'm thinking this will
    > fix the problem for me. At least I hope it will.
    >
    > oldsoul

    Oldsoul: Try running the System File Checker with your Win 2K CD in the
    tray, and access to any service Pack files on your hard drive.

    Start --> run... --> sfc /scannow --> [enter]

    Info for Win 2000 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222471/EN-US/

+ Reply to Thread