Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000. - Microsoft Windows ; Greetings, groups. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of what might be causing a weird problem I've been having with my Windows 2000 installation? The problem is this: Sporadically, averaging about 3 times per hour, but ranging from ...

  1. Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000.

    Greetings, groups. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea
    of what might be causing a weird problem I've been having with
    my Windows 2000 installation?

    The problem is this: Sporadically, averaging about 3 times per
    hour, but ranging from once every few minutes to once a week,
    the top window on my screen stops responding to mouse or keyboard
    input for about 15 seconds, then my monitor goes "CLINK",
    goes black for exactly 1 second, goes "CLANK", and returns to
    normal, except that the contents of some windows may be
    scrambled (incorrectly painted). Minimizing and restoring
    those windows corrects the scrambled content.

    The problem especially occurs when draging scroll bars or
    clicking radio buttons. Oddly, the mouse pointer doesn't
    freeze; the top window simply stops responding to the mouse.
    After the above-described video reset, window controls work
    normally, until the next time the problem occurs, seconds,
    hours, or days later.

    Recently, the problem has been getting worse. Sometimes,
    Windows completely stops responding to the mouse and keyboard,
    necessating pushing my computer's "Reset" button.

    This problem has been occuring since Sat. March 19, 2005.
    One thing that happened that day is, I got infected with
    the W32.Beagle.h@mm virus. I removed the infection, but I'm
    wondering the virus damaged one of my system files? Does
    anyone here know if this virus can do that?

    I'm guessing a file such as kernel32.dll or user32.dll has
    been damaged, but I don't know how to find & fix the problem
    other than uninstall all programs, clean-reinstall Windows,
    reinstall all service packs and updates, and reinstall all
    programs. Major drag. Anyone have any ideas for a less
    destructive cure?

    Cheers,
    Robbie Hatley
    Tustin, CA, USA
    lonewolfintj@pacbell.net
    http://home.pacbell.net/earnur/

  2. Re: Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000.

    Robbie Hatley wrote:
    > Greetings, groups. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea
    > of what might be causing a weird problem I've been having with
    > my Windows 2000 installation?

    Windows would be my guess.

    > The problem is this: Sporadically, averaging about 3 times per
    > hour, but ranging from once every few minutes to once a week,
    > the top window on my screen stops responding to mouse or keyboard
    > input for about 15 seconds, then my monitor goes "CLINK",
    > goes black for exactly 1 second, goes "CLANK", and returns to
    > normal, except that the contents of some windows may be
    > scrambled (incorrectly painted). Minimizing and restoring
    > those windows corrects the scrambled content.

    Sounds like a display driver issue.

    > This problem has been occuring since Sat. March 19, 2005.
    > One thing that happened that day is, I got infected with
    > the W32.Beagle.h@mm virus. I removed the infection, but I'm
    > wondering the virus damaged one of my system files? Does
    > anyone here know if this virus can do that?

    Looks like display drivers. Reinstall them, and repair the OS if you can
    without trashing your data files.

  3. Re: Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000.

    "Twisted One" wrote:

    > Robbie Hatley wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is this: Sporadically, averaging about 3 times per
    > > hour, but ranging from once every few minutes to once a week,
    > > the top window on my screen stops responding to mouse or keyboard
    > > input for about 15 seconds, then my monitor goes "CLINK",
    > > goes black for exactly 1 second, goes "CLANK", and returns to
    > > normal, except that the contents of some windows may be
    > > scrambled (incorrectly painted). Minimizing and restoring
    > > those windows corrects the scrambled content.

    > Sounds like a display driver issue.

    That's one thing which, for some reason, I didn't think of.

    I just re-installed my video-card drivers. So far, so good.
    Hopefully the problem is fixed. (It's quite intermittant,
    so it'll take a while to tell.)

    Thanks for the tip!

    Cheers,
    Robbie Hatley
    Tustin, CA, USA
    email: lonewolfintj at pacbell dot net
    web: home dot pacbell dot net slant earnur slant

  4. Re: Weird video-mode reset problem in Win2000.

    If the problem returns try reinstalling the latest service pack.

    Robbie Hatley wrote:

    > "Twisted One" wrote:
    >
    > > Robbie Hatley wrote:
    > >
    > > > The problem is this: Sporadically, averaging about 3 times per
    > > > hour, but ranging from once every few minutes to once a week,
    > > > the top window on my screen stops responding to mouse or keyboard
    > > > input for about 15 seconds, then my monitor goes "CLINK",
    > > > goes black for exactly 1 second, goes "CLANK", and returns to
    > > > normal, except that the contents of some windows may be
    > > > scrambled (incorrectly painted). Minimizing and restoring
    > > > those windows corrects the scrambled content.

    > > Sounds like a display driver issue.

    > That's one thing which, for some reason, I didn't think of.
    >
    > I just re-installed my video-card drivers. So far, so good.
    > Hopefully the problem is fixed. (It's quite intermittant,
    > so it'll take a while to tell.)
    >
    > Thanks for the tip!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Robbie Hatley
    > Tustin, CA, USA
    > email: lonewolfintj at pacbell dot net
    > web: home dot pacbell dot net slant earnur slant

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

+ Reply to Thread