HELP! Need help to restore deleted file - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on HELP! Need help to restore deleted file - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, My boss has an old computer running Windows 3.11 (yes I know a relic, but my boss doesn't want to give it up). He is running an OLD version of Quicken - Dos version from 89-92. Anyway in Quicken ...

  1. HELP! Need help to restore deleted file

    Hi,

    My boss has an old computer running Windows 3.11 (yes I know a relic, but my
    boss doesn't want to give it up).

    He is running an OLD version of Quicken - Dos version from 89-92. Anyway in
    Quicken he selected to delete one of his files. I am trying to see if I can
    restore the file. I went into dos and typed:

    restore "file name" c:

    I get the response "invalid drive specification"

    HELP!!!

    Thanks,

    Carol Van

  2. Re: HELP! Need help to restore deleted file_Update

    Update

    My dos command knowledge is kind of rusty (along with a few other parts). I
    did find the undelete command and used it. There are 4 different files that
    Quicken uses for each database: .qdi; .qdt; .qmt; .qnx. I did manage to
    get the .qdi one back. I thought that was the main one. On the other
    files, I get the message "starting cluster is unavailable. This file cannot
    be recovered with the UNDELETE command" When I open Quicken and do a search
    for files I am able to open the .qdi file, but it only has about half the
    files in it, only up to 2002.

    Anyone know anything.

    Carol Van

    "Carol Van" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > My boss has an old computer running Windows 3.11 (yes I know a relic, but
    > my boss doesn't want to give it up).
    >

    > He is running an OLD version of Quicken - Dos version from 89-92. Anyway
    > in Quicken he selected to delete one of his files. I am trying to see if
    > I can restore the file. I went into dos and typed:
    >

    > restore "file name" c:
    >

    > I get the response "invalid drive specification"
    >

    > HELP!!!
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carol Van

  3. Re: HELP! Need help to restore deleted file

    Yes the undelete button in the Dos prompt should do it.
    Make sure you're within the direct where the file was deleted. Then
    type 'undelete'. It was a handy little tool back in the day.

    --
    http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    way!

    Carol Van wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > My boss has an old computer running Windows 3.11 (yes I know a relic, but my
    > boss doesn't want to give it up).
    >

    > He is running an OLD version of Quicken - Dos version from 89-92. Anyway in
    > Quicken he selected to delete one of his files. I am trying to see if I can
    > restore the file. I went into dos and typed:
    >

    > restore "file name" c:
    >

    > I get the response "invalid drive specification"
    >

    > HELP!!!
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carol Van

+ Reply to Thread