Sending an iTunes song list from one PC to another: How to? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Sending an iTunes song list from one PC to another: How to? - Microsoft Windows ; A young friend of mine with Windows XP has 160 songs in an iTunes library, and wants to send me a list of them, i.e., title/artist. I myself use a Win98 computer, which doesn't allow for iTunes, which requires Win2000 ...

  1. Sending an iTunes song list from one PC to another: How to?

    A young friend of mine with Windows XP has 160 songs in an iTunes
    library, and wants to send me a list of them, i.e., title/artist. I
    myself use a Win98 computer, which doesn't allow for iTunes, which
    requires Win2000 or Windows XP.

    Can someone please suggest the easiest method of simply sending me an
    iTunes song list? Am guessing that the list can be attached to e-mail
    and sent that way, but my friend needs to be informed as to how to do
    it, step by step.

    Thanks very much in advance.

    -fan

    P.S. If there is a more appropriate newsgroup into which this should
    be posted, please let me know.

  2. Re: Sending an iTunes song list from one PC to another: How to?

    fan wrote:
    > A young friend of mine with Windows XP has 160 songs in an iTunes
    > library, and wants to send me a list of them, i.e., title/artist. I
    > myself use a Win98 computer, which doesn't allow for iTunes, which
    > requires Win2000 or Windows XP.
    >
    > Can someone please suggest the easiest method of simply sending me an
    > iTunes song list? Am guessing that the list can be attached to e-mail
    > and sent that way, but my friend needs to be informed as to how to do
    > it, step by step.
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -fan
    >
    > P.S. If there is a more appropriate newsgroup into which this should
    > be posted, please let me know.

    iTunes is scriptable. He shold have wsh (windows scripting host)
    installed so this small javascript should do (there is an sdk
    downloadable from apple with some more sophisticated scripts)

    He should store the following in the file "ListTracks.js" and then
    run it in a cmd window (or from start run) with:

    cscript.exe //nologo ListTracks.js >TrackList.txt

    //ListTracks.js //////////////////////////////////////////////
    var iTunesApp = WScript.CreateObject("iTunes.Application");
    var mainLibrary = iTunesApp.LibraryPlaylist;
    var tracks = mainLibrary.Tracks;
    var numTracks = tracks.Count;
    var i;

    for (i = 1; i <= numTracks; i++)
    {
    var currTrack = tracks.Item(i);
    WScript.Echo(currTrack.Name + " by " + currTrack.Artist);
    }

    HTH

    --
    Gruesse Greetings Saludos Saluti Salutations
    Matthias

+ Reply to Thread