Help - need to create boot sector - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help - need to create boot sector - Microsoft Windows ; Hello. I have a computer with two physical disks. The first disk had win98 installed on it and several data partitions. The 2nd disk has XP and a few more partitions. Well my first disk died a couple days ago. ...

  1. Help - need to create boot sector

    Hello.
    I have a computer with two physical disks. The first disk had win98
    installed on it and several data partitions. The 2nd disk has XP and a few
    more partitions. Well my first disk died a couple days ago. Unfortunately,
    since it had the boot files on it, now I can not boot into the 2nd disk with
    XP on it. Is there any way to manually add the necessary boot files to my
    2nd disk so I can just boot to XP with it? I would like to avoid a complete
    reinstallation if possible.

    Thx for any advice.

  2. Re: Help - need to create boot sector

    "Agent Smith" wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > I have a computer with two physical disks. The first disk had win98
    > installed on it and several data partitions. The 2nd disk has XP and a
    > few
    > more partitions. Well my first disk died a couple days ago.
    > Unfortunately,
    > since it had the boot files on it, now I can not boot into the 2nd disk
    > with
    > XP on it. Is there any way to manually add the necessary boot files to my
    > 2nd disk so I can just boot to XP with it? I would like to avoid a
    > complete
    > reinstallation if possible.
    >
    > Thx for any advice.

    Simplest solution is to boot from your xp cd and do a repair install. Follow
    the prompts, setup will detect your currant install and ask you if you would
    like to repair or reinstall. Select repair.

    -nos1eep

  3. Re: Help - need to create boot sector

    Nos1eep, , the dyslexic, tarnished butt reamer,
    and piglet drover, inculcated:

    You complete ****ing imbecile.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Flash cooked roadkill buttock con salted diseased body parts and corn
    vinaigrette, cooked in a gurgling skillet containing bloody dessicated
    fungus, squishy squares of lung, stomach and bacon, snot, a side of crackers
    and a container of pond scum.

  4. Re: Help - need to create boot sector

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote in message

    > "Agent Smith" wrote in message
    >> Hello.
    >> I have a computer with two physical disks. The first disk had win98
    >> installed on it and several data partitions. The 2nd disk has XP and a

    > few
    >> more partitions. Well my first disk died a couple days ago.

    > Unfortunately,
    >> since it had the boot files on it, now I can not boot into the 2nd disk

    > with
    >> XP on it. Is there any way to manually add the necessary boot files to
    >> my
    >> 2nd disk so I can just boot to XP with it? I would like to avoid a

    > complete
    >> reinstallation if possible.
    >>
    >> Thx for any advice.
    >>

    > If WinXP was on drive D: then you must continue running it
    > on drive D:. After removing your first disk, drive D: may have
    > become drive C:, thus making it impossible for WinXP to run,
    > even if you had the boot files. Before anyone can assist you,
    > you need to state the drive letters you had before your first
    > disk failed, and what disks you have available now.

    Hello, thanks for all the replies.
    Yes, XP was on my D drive as you suspected. I went into the repair mode off
    of the XP CD and indeed it thinks my XP is now installed on C. I haven't
    gone through with the repair yet though. I also have 3 other partitions on
    that disk + 2 CD drives. Here is the before and after (DISK0 is the now
    dead disk, and DISK1 is the one that is still good):

    Before:

    DISK 0 -- C: -- fat32 (win98 install)
    DISK 1 -- D: -- NTFS (winXP install)
    DISK 0 -- E: -- fat32
    DISK 0 -- F: -- fat32
    DISK 1 -- G: -- fat32
    DISK 1 -- I: -- fat32
    DISK 1 -- Q: -- NTFS

    After:

    DISK 1 -- C: -- NTFS (winXP install)
    DISK 1 -- D: -- NTFS (formerly Q
    DISK 1 -- E: -- fat32 (formerly G
    DISK 1 -- F: -- fat32 (formerly I

    I'm not as worried about the last three drives changing letters as I used
    them mainly for documents and games, and I can always go through the
    registry later and change anything I need to point to the new drive. I just
    need to get XP running somehow if possible. Thanks for the help. :-)

  5. Re: Help - need to create boot sector

    If you can get your hands on Partition Magic, create a small, primary
    partition out of empty space on your XP partition; this will force the XP
    partition to D:. If you don't have Partition Magic, try to get Symantec
    Ghost. Ghost the XP partition to an image file (good backup, anyway),
    then repartition your hard drive as above, then Ghost the image file back
    to the partition.

+ Reply to Thread