Disk Geometry - Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Disk Geometry - Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks ? - Microsoft Windows ; Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks? I am setting up a dual boot system, and I would prefer the BIOS to be set to Normal mode if possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Regards, ...

  1. Disk Geometry - Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks ?

    Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks?

    I am setting up a dual boot system, and I would prefer the BIOS to be set to
    Normal mode if possible.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Disk Geometry - Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks ?

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:05:49 GMT,
    markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.co.uk (Mark Hobley) wrote:

    >Does Windows 2003 still need LBA mode for disks?
    >
    >I am setting up a dual boot system, and I would prefer the BIOS to be set to
    >Normal mode if possible.
    >
    >Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Mark.

    Unless your system is dual booting into a *bsd nix variant, you are
    far better off sticking with LBA access for any hard drive.

    I personally have used LBA access mode with DOS
    6.22/WFW3.11/Win95/98/XP and multiple versions of Linux without
    problem. The principle advantage of LBA is the drive informs the BIOS
    what sturctuer works best for it. This means maximum available
    capacity and the OS communicates with the drive using a block size
    that allows optimal performance.

    The Normal Mode default in your systems BIOS will result in a
    noticible performance loss. Stick with LBA unless the drive does not
    support that mode.

    HTH

+ Reply to Thread