Windows 2003 - Display Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 - Display Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification - Microsoft Windows ; There is a bug on Windows XP and Windows 2003, which allows the display resolution to get switched to a mode beyond the specification of the attached monitor. The problem occurs, because the operating system advertises to software applications that ...

  1. Windows 2003 - Display Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification

    There is a bug on Windows XP and Windows 2003, which allows the display
    resolution to get switched to a mode beyond the specification of the attached
    monitor.

    The problem occurs, because the operating system advertises to software
    applications that all the video modes that the card can display are available
    for use, even though the attached monitor cannot display them.

    Windows XP provided the facility to correct this by providing a tick box in
    the display properties which was labelled:

    "Hide video modes that this monitor cannot display"

    When ticked, this prevented the resolution slider exceeding the monitor
    specification.

    I cannot find this tick box on Windows 2003.

    Has this been moved, or is there a registry key that has the same effect?

    This is required, because some software applications, particularly games
    presume that my LCD touchscreen is a high resolution monitor.

    Without this fix, I have to remove the computer from its installation point
    into a test area, borrow a high resolution monitor from a friend, make a
    software setting change, and reinstall the computer into its housing area. I
    have to do this whenever I install an affected package. This is extremely
    annoying.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Windows 2003 - Display Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification

    In alt.comp.microsoft.windows Mark Hobley wrote:

    > "Hide video modes that this monitor cannot display"
    > I cannot find this tick box on Windows 2003.

    Start, Control Panel, Display, Tab: Settings, [Advanced], Tab: Monitor,
    Section: Monitor Settings

    I have found the tick box, but it is greyed out.

    How do I make this box active?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

+ Reply to Thread