Folder opens automatically at startup - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Folder opens automatically at startup - Microsoft Windows ; All of a sudden, my laptop (Windows 2000 Professional) has started to open the Program folder at startup. I guess some register setting has been changed. Any hint what I could do to remove that setting?...

  1. Folder opens automatically at startup

    All of a sudden, my laptop (Windows 2000 Professional) has started to open
    the Program folder at startup. I guess some register setting has been
    changed. Any hint what I could do to remove that setting?

  2. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    In microsoft.public.win2000.registry Hans Näslund wrote:

    > All of a sudden, my laptop (Windows 2000 Professional) has started
    > to open the Program folder at startup. I guess some register
    > setting has been changed. Any hint what I could do to remove that
    > setting?

    Possible malware. Full Anti-* scans recommended.
    Check all Startup items (registry and disk) using a competent Startup
    Manager such as Autoruns (sysinternals) for example. Any other
    anomalies or spurious processes or event log entries? "At startup"
    means what? At Windows startup or at an account logon?

  3. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Most likely this is a setting in Explorer.
    Open an explorer window. Then from the menu choose:
    Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    Then uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.

    If that does not solve the problem use InControl:
    http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

  4. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    There is no such option ('Restore previous folder windows at logon') in my
    system (Swedish W2K Pro).

    I have run AdAware and Spybot - no malicious objetcs. And neither InControl
    nor Autoruns display any suspicious entries.

    I have had this problem once before, but after a while (several months,
    though) it disappeared by itself. I still guess some register setting has
    been changed - but how do I know which one?

    "Boris Yankov" skrev i meddelandet
    news:cc8b320c.0410191326.79e67ee@posting.google.co m...
    > Most likely this is a setting in Explorer.
    > Open an explorer window. Then from the menu choose:
    > Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    > Then uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.
    >
    > If that does not solve the problem use InControl:
    > http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

  5. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Hans Näslund wrote:

    >> Most likely this is a setting in Explorer. Open an explorer window. Then
    >> from the menu choose: Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    >> Then uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.
    >> If that does not solve the problem use InControl:
    >> http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

    > There is no such option ('Restore previous folder windows at logon') in my
    > system (Swedish W2K Pro). I have run AdAware and Spybot - no malicious
    > objetcs. And neither InControl nor Autoruns display any suspicious entries.
    > I have had this problem once before, but after a while (several months,
    > though) it disappeared by itself. I still guess some register setting has
    > been changed - but how do I know which one?

    First of all check registry keys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    and other "Run keys" for any incorrect entries with explorer.exe.
    You can use msconfig or Codestuff Starter http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/
    (W2K does not include msconfig utility). If it doesn't help go to
    registry key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    and create/change dword value "SeparateProcess" - set it to 0;
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
    and create/change dword value "DesktopProcess" - set it to 0.

    FUT warning

    --
    Regards
    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

  6. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Thank you for your advices; unfortunately they did not help.

    I have checked the "Run" register keys - no suspicious entries could be
    found.

    I have also checked that
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
    d\ SeparateProcess is set to 0, and I have created "DesktopProcess" in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer and set
    it to 0. The same obnoxious folder keeps popping up at startup.

    Btw - in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer there
    is a string with the name "Vodka Lime 1" and the value 1744. What is that?
    Can I remove it?

    Hans Näslund

    "Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" skrev i
    meddelandet news:417d2280.12414330@blackfox.org...
    > Hans Näslund wrote:
    >
    > >> Most likely this is a setting in Explorer. Open an explorer window.

    Then
    > >> from the menu choose: Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    > >> Then uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.
    > >> If that does not solve the problem use InControl:
    > >> http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

    > > There is no such option ('Restore previous folder windows at logon') in

    my
    > > system (Swedish W2K Pro). I have run AdAware and Spybot - no malicious
    > > objetcs. And neither InControl nor Autoruns display any suspicious

    entries.
    > > I have had this problem once before, but after a while (several months,
    > > though) it disappeared by itself. I still guess some register setting

    has
    > > been changed - but how do I know which one?

    > First of all check registry keys:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    > and other "Run keys" for any incorrect entries with explorer.exe.
    > You can use msconfig or Codestuff Starter http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/
    > (W2K does not include msconfig utility). If it doesn't help go to
    > registry key

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
    > and create/change dword value "SeparateProcess" - set it to 0;
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
    > and create/change dword value "DesktopProcess" - set it to 0.
    >
    > FUT warning
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk
    > Replaying by email change blackfox.org to gazeta.pl

  7. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Thank you for your advices; unfortunately they did not help.

    I have checked the "Run" register keys - no suspicious entries could be
    found.

    I have also checked that
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
    d\ SeparateProcess is set to 0, and I have created "DesktopProcess" in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer and set
    it to 0. The same obnoxious folder keeps popping up at startup.

    Btw - in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer there
    is a string with the name "Vodka Lime 1" and the value 1744. What is that?
    Can I remove it?

    Hans Näslund

    "Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" skrev i
    meddelandet news:417d2280.12414330@blackfox.org...
    > Hans Näslund wrote:
    >
    > >> Most likely this is a setting in Explorer. Open an explorer window.

    Then
    > >> from the menu choose: Tools -> Folder Options... -> View
    > >> Then uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.
    > >> If that does not solve the problem use InControl:
    > >> http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

    > > There is no such option ('Restore previous folder windows at logon') in

    my
    > > system (Swedish W2K Pro). I have run AdAware and Spybot - no malicious
    > > objetcs. And neither InControl nor Autoruns display any suspicious

    entries.
    > > I have had this problem once before, but after a while (several months,
    > > though) it disappeared by itself. I still guess some register setting

    has
    > > been changed - but how do I know which one?

    > First of all check registry keys:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    > and other "Run keys" for any incorrect entries with explorer.exe.
    > You can use msconfig or Codestuff Starter http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/
    > (W2K does not include msconfig utility). If it doesn't help go to
    > registry key

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
    > and create/change dword value "SeparateProcess" - set it to 0;
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
    > and create/change dword value "DesktopProcess" - set it to 0.
    >
    > FUT warning
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk
    > Replaying by email change blackfox.org to gazeta.pl

  8. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Hans Näslund wrote:

    > Thank you for your advices; unfortunately they did not help.

    ;-((

    > I have also checked that
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    > SeparateProcess is set to 0, and I have created "DesktopProcess" in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer and set
    > it to 0. The same obnoxious folder keeps popping up at startup.

    Check /maybe/ also HKLM keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
    for the same values. Check registry key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    for dword value "PersistBrowsers" - it should be set to 0.

    > Btw - in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer there
    > is a string with the name "Vodka Lime 1" and the value 1744. What is that?

    I don't know - AFAIK this is not a "standard key".

    > Can I remove it?

    Make a backup of HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer
    and delete that value.

    --
    Regards
    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk
    Replaying by email change blackfox.org to gazeta.pl

  9. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    "Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" skrev i
    meddelandet news:417d4e4f.18915809@blackfox.org...
    > Hans Näslund wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your advices; unfortunately they did not help.

    > ;-((

    - - -
    > Check /maybe/ also HKLM keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Advanc
    ed
    > and
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer
    > for the same values. Check registry key

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
    > for dword value "PersistBrowsers" - it should be set to 0.

    I have done that - no similar values in the HKLM keys. No dword
    "PersistBrowsers" i HKCU.

    Hans Näslund

  10. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    "Hans Näslund" wrote in message
    > All of a sudden, my laptop (Windows 2000 Professional) has started to open
    > the Program folder at startup. I guess some register setting has been
    > changed. Any hint what I could do to remove that setting?

  11. Re: Folder opens automatically at startup

    Try checking the startup folder.
    Go to Start menu.
    Then point to Programs
    Then point to Startup
    Delete Program folder
    OR
    Go to Start Menu
    Click Run
    In the box type in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup
    Then delete Progam folder

    From,
    Syed Abdullah