installing 2nd OS - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on installing 2nd OS - Microsoft Windows ; I have just installed winXP into my P3-500 laptop. I have partitioned the 40gb hard disk into 2 parts .........roughly 20gb each. The first partition is the primary partition with FAT32 file system and is active and denoted by c: ...

  1. installing 2nd OS

    I have just installed winXP into my P3-500 laptop. I have partitioned the
    40gb hard disk into 2 parts .........roughly 20gb each. The first partition
    is the primary partition with FAT32 file system and is active and denoted by
    c: This was done using the WinXP CD. The second partition is as yet
    unallocated and not yet partitioned. That is
    why I am here.

    Now I would like to install win98se as a 2nd OS to get a dual boot. I am not
    sure if the action taken below will be correct.

    Partition the remaining unallocated space as an extended DOS partition and
    format it with FAT32? If that is so the extended DOS partition will be
    called D: right? So if I install win98se into this D: drive, and restart,
    what will happen ? Will I get a menu to choose which OS to start?

    Any help or better suggestion appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: installing 2nd OS

    Unfortunately you've started wrong. If you want to have Win98SE and WinXP
    on the same PC, the first OS to get installed is Win98SE, and it should
    reside on the
    first partition, on the C: drive. But you still can get what you want. The
    bad thing
    about all DOS-based Windows systems is that they don't see other OS's and
    overwrite boot-sector with their own code rendering all other already
    installed
    OS's unbootable. Of course, the boot-sector can be restored to its previous
    state but it requires working with command line where any mistake can lead
    data loss. So the easiest and simplest way is to first install Win98SE to
    the first
    partition and the WinXP to the second, keeping in mind that your first
    partition
    must not extend farther that 8,4 GB, for if it does, your second OS (the one
    on
    the second partition) will be unbootable. This way you won't have to do
    anything beyond ordinary OS installation procedure, the OS choice menu will
    be
    there automatically once WinXP installation has been finished. Good luck!

  3. Re: installing 2nd OS

    Once you install 98, you can't boot to XP.

    Install OSes in this order.

    Cannot Start Windows XP After You Install Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second
    Edition
    1.. Insert the Windows XP CD and then restart your computer.
    2.. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the
    screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
    3.. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
    4.. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
    license agreement.
    5.. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in
    the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
    6.. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows
    XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of
    Windows XP.
    ~
    http://pcsupport.xstudio.ca/system/quickfixes.html

    "Tsun Szu" wrote in message
    > I have just installed winXP into my P3-500 laptop. I have partitioned the
    > 40gb hard disk into 2 parts .........roughly 20gb each. The first

    partition
    > is the primary partition with FAT32 file system and is active and denoted

    by
    > c: This was done using the WinXP CD. The second partition is as yet
    > unallocated and not yet partitioned. That is
    > why I am here.
    >
    > Now I would like to install win98se as a 2nd OS to get a dual boot. I am

    not
    > sure if the action taken below will be correct.
    >
    > Partition the remaining unallocated space as an extended DOS partition and
    > format it with FAT32? If that is so the extended DOS partition will be
    > called D: right? So if I install win98se into this D: drive, and restart,
    > what will happen ? Will I get a menu to choose which OS to start?
    >
    > Any help or better suggestion appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: installing 2nd OS

    The funny thing is I did it. I installed win98se into logical drive D: in
    the 2nd partition. (Remember I had already installed WinXP in the first
    primary partition c So when I restarted the computer, win98se loads in
    automtically since no choices appeared for me to select Win98se or WinXP. So
    I re-installed WinXP into the primary partition c: again...... using the
    WinXP CD. This time when I restarted, I was able to get 2 choices - Win98se
    or WinXP. Anyway thanks to you guys for the guide on dual installing dual
    OSes. I now know that the correct sequence is to first install Win98se in C:
    (primary partition) and then followed by WinXP in D: (secondary logical
    partition).

+ Reply to Thread