Re: Windows XP registry editor for DOS or Linux - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Windows XP registry editor for DOS or Linux - Microsoft Windows ; paul berezansky wrote: > I screwed up the registry on my WinXP system. > > My had drive was showing up as F: because I had a Zip drive hooked up > when I loaded XP, so changed stuff around ...

  1. Re: Windows XP registry editor for DOS or Linux

    paul berezansky wrote:
    > I screwed up the registry on my WinXP system.
    >
    > My had drive was showing up as F: because I had a Zip drive hooked up
    > when I loaded XP, so changed stuff around in the registry so
    > everything was normal, after this I cannot log into XP anymore.
    >
    > Safe mode doesn't work either.
    >
    > From Microsofts documentation, i need to change the setting in the
    > registry for the swap file or change the drive letters back to

    normal.

    > I did not back the registry up before hand and now I want to put it
    > back to how it was. Is there a way to edit the registry from a DOS
    > bootdisk, or a linux bootdisk.
    >
    > Can I copy the registry off the old PC and then edit it on another
    > system and then copy it back to the original one?
    >
    > Is there a way to edit the registry from the recovery console?

    It takes balls for someone like me to visit a group like this, but you
    seem to be on the right track. But I have something a *little* more
    high-end in mind than a "bootdisk." Knoppix has a thing to access NTFS
    partitions (most WinXP partitions are NTFS) in read/write, so I've
    heard. I have no NTFS partitions to test it on though. The software
    included is called "captive ntfs." check out http://www.knoppix.org to
    download. It runs right off the cd, so no need to worry about losing
    data on hard drive.

  2. Re: Windows XP registry editor for DOS or Linux

    There is a linux boot disc called EBCD. It has a NTFS reader, it's
    called volkov commander. This program lets me browse around the volume
    and copy files onto floppies.

    There is also a program for does called READNTFS that does the same
    sort of thing.

    What i'd like to know is what the location of the windows registry
    actually is, and what the file is called.

    pandora_xero@hotmail.com wrote in message news:...
    > paul berezansky wrote:
    > > I screwed up the registry on my WinXP system.
    > >
    > > My had drive was showing up as F: because I had a Zip drive hooked up
    > > when I loaded XP, so changed stuff around in the registry so
    > > everything was normal, after this I cannot log into XP anymore.
    > >
    > > Safe mode doesn't work either.
    > >
    > > From Microsofts documentation, i need to change the setting in the
    > > registry for the swap file or change the drive letters back to

    > normal.
    > >
    > > I did not back the registry up before hand and now I want to put it
    > > back to how it was. Is there a way to edit the registry from a DOS
    > > bootdisk, or a linux bootdisk.
    > >
    > > Can I copy the registry off the old PC and then edit it on another
    > > system and then copy it back to the original one?
    > >
    > > Is there a way to edit the registry from the recovery console?

    > It takes balls for someone like me to visit a group like this, but you
    > seem to be on the right track. But I have something a *little* more
    > high-end in mind than a "bootdisk." Knoppix has a thing to access NTFS
    > partitions (most WinXP partitions are NTFS) in read/write, so I've
    > heard. I have no NTFS partitions to test it on though. The software
    > included is called "captive ntfs." check out http://www.knoppix.org to
    > download. It runs right off the cd, so no need to worry about losing
    > data on hard drive.

  3. Re: Windows XP registry editor for DOS or Linux

    If the problem is caused by the drive letter changed, you may edit boot.ini
    to match your partition and windows could start.

    The registry locations:

    c:\windows\system32\config\system
    c:\windows\system32\config\software
    c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    c:\windows\system32\config\security
    c:\windows\system32\config\default

    Check here for detail
    http://xstudio.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

    news:fa5dbb5.0408230811.643adf2e@posting.google.co m...

    > > paul berezansky wrote:
    > > > I screwed up the registry on my WinXP system.
    > > >
    > > > My had drive was showing up as F: because I had a Zip drive hooked up
    > > > when I loaded XP, so changed stuff around in the registry so
    > > > everything was normal, after this I cannot log into XP anymore.
    > > >
    > > > Safe mode doesn't work either.
    > > >
    > > > From Microsofts documentation, i need to change the setting in the
    > > > registry for the swap file or change the drive letters back to

    > > normal.
    > > >
    > > > I did not back the registry up before hand and now I want to put it
    > > > back to how it was. Is there a way to edit the registry from a DOS
    > > > bootdisk, or a linux bootdisk.
    > > >
    > > > Can I copy the registry off the old PC and then edit it on another
    > > > system and then copy it back to the original one?
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to edit the registry from the recovery console?

    > > It takes balls for someone like me to visit a group like this, but you
    > > seem to be on the right track. But I have something a *little* more
    > > high-end in mind than a "bootdisk." Knoppix has a thing to access NTFS
    > > partitions (most WinXP partitions are NTFS) in read/write, so I've
    > > heard. I have no NTFS partitions to test it on though. The software
    > > included is called "captive ntfs." check out http://www.knoppix.org to
    > > download. It runs right off the cd, so no need to worry about losing
    > > data on hard drive.

+ Reply to Thread