Replaced CPU fan/heatsink - Win2000 hasn't worked since - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Replaced CPU fan/heatsink - Win2000 hasn't worked since - Microsoft Windows ; In a nutshell, I replaced a CPU fan - didn't cause any component to stir... I've done this dozens of times before and it's not that hard a thing to do. When I started the system up again, all seemed ...

  1. Replaced CPU fan/heatsink - Win2000 hasn't worked since

    In a nutshell, I replaced a CPU fan - didn't cause any component
    to stir... I've done this dozens of times before and it's not that hard
    a thing to do.

    When I started the system up again, all seemed normal until the
    start bar came onto the screen. It appeared to freeze. After a
    while I realized that it was continuing to load, only at a very, very
    slow pace. We're talking at 1% of the regular pace. Once done,
    I could do anything at the same speed. S L O W. Things seemed
    to go at a good clip until Zone Alarm would load... something that
    worked for a couple of years. I managed to have the computer not
    load ZA upon next boot up, but when rebooting, it hangs on the
    splash screen, half-way through the progress bar.

    I tried booting from the Win2000 CD and it loads all the necessary
    files but when it says something along the lines of 'starting windows'
    on the blue screen (can't remember at what point I should be able
    to select repair installation but I never get that far) it appears to
    freeze.

    Any other tips? Everything was working fine. I must have done
    something, but what? The heatsink/fan transplant went fine. It's a
    PIII-750 w/512MB of RAM - I don't think the hardware config
    should be an issue given that this system has worked for quite some
    time.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Replaced CPU fan/heatsink - Win2000 hasn't worked since

    I've pulled all PCI cards and it boots. Should have done that before
    posting. Never mind. ...off to find the culprit. :-P

    "Al" wrote in message news:H82dncvR5PeOXZzcRVn-vg@magma.ca...
    > In a nutshell, I replaced a CPU fan - didn't cause any component
    > to stir... I've done this dozens of times before and it's not that hard
    > a thing to do.
    >
    > When I started the system up again, all seemed normal until the
    > start bar came onto the screen. It appeared to freeze. After a
    > while I realized that it was continuing to load, only at a very, very
    > slow pace. We're talking at 1% of the regular pace. Once done,
    > I could do anything at the same speed. S L O W. Things seemed
    > to go at a good clip until Zone Alarm would load... something that
    > worked for a couple of years. I managed to have the computer not
    > load ZA upon next boot up, but when rebooting, it hangs on the
    > splash screen, half-way through the progress bar.
    >
    > I tried booting from the Win2000 CD and it loads all the necessary
    > files but when it says something along the lines of 'starting windows'
    > on the blue screen (can't remember at what point I should be able
    > to select repair installation but I never get that far) it appears to
    > freeze.
    >
    > Any other tips? Everything was working fine. I must have done
    > something, but what? The heatsink/fan transplant went fine. It's a
    > PIII-750 w/512MB of RAM - I don't think the hardware config
    > should be an issue given that this system has worked for quite some
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread