Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server, the hard disk is at the moment blank and unused. This server is going to be a terminal services server and because of this I need Windows installed on the M ...

  1. Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters

    Hello,

    I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server, the hard disk is at the
    moment blank and unused. This server is going to be a terminal
    services server and because of this I need Windows installed on the M
    drive, ie M:\Winnt. I do not want to have any other drives like C:.
    Going through setup I can not assign the drive letter M and Windows
    default is the C: drive. How is this done Please can anyone advise me?
    Thanks in advance.

    Timothy.

  2. Re: Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters

    tpateman@equity.co.uk (Timothy) wrote in message news:<42c306ab.0407210629.6511296@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server, the hard disk is at the
    > moment blank and unused. This server is going to be a terminal
    > services server and because of this I need Windows installed on the M
    > drive, ie M:\Winnt. I do not want to have any other drives like C:.
    > Going through setup I can not assign the drive letter M and Windows
    > default is the C: drive. How is this done Please can anyone advise me?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Timothy.

    Tim,

    I think windows always expects to be on the first partion of
    the primary drive. So, since it's still based on DOS, that
    has to be C:\. If I remember my old DOS batch file
    programming, there was a way to alias a drive letter, but I
    don't know if that would help. I'll look into it.

    Later,

    Andy C.(never #)

  3. Re: Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters

    Any version of windows can be on any drive, although there are some restrictions on the boot partition. With some versions you can boot from any active primary partition and load windows from any partition. Versions that load DOS before loading windows e.g. Win3.x and Win9.x get there drive letter assignment from the BIOS so the first primary partition of the first drive will be drive C. WinNT based OSs do not use DOS and do not have this restriction. WinNT can assign any drive letter to any drive, including the boot partition and OS partition. Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has not included this feature in Win2k and WinXP.

    --

    When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

  4. Re: Installing Windows 2000 Drive Letters

    acamfield@revenue.org (Andrew Camfield) wrote in message news:...
    > tpateman@equity.co.uk (Timothy) wrote in message news:<42c306ab.0407210629.6511296@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server, the hard disk is at the
    > > moment blank and unused. This server is going to be a terminal
    > > services server and because of this I need Windows installed on the M
    > > drive, ie M:\Winnt. I do not want to have any other drives like C:.
    > > Going through setup I can not assign the drive letter M and Windows
    > > default is the C: drive. How is this done Please can anyone advise me?
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Timothy.

    > Tim,
    >
    > I think windows always expects to be on the first partion of
    > the primary drive. So, since it's still based on DOS, that
    > has to be C:\. If I remember my old DOS batch file
    > programming, there was a way to alias a drive letter, but I
    > don't know if that would help. I'll look into it.
    >
    > Later,
    >
    > Andy C.(never #)

    U Happen to have a Zip Drive or any other external drive Also unplug
    any other drives except for one drive for the installation and remove
    the expansion cards as well just as a precaution happened once to me
    Sounds Dumb but works

+ Reply to Thread