New Computer Randomly Rebooting During XP Setup - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on New Computer Randomly Rebooting During XP Setup - Microsoft Windows ; I just built a new computer (see below for specs), booted it up in preparation to install windows. I got all of the master-slave kinks sorted out, and booted to the windows CD. I began to install windows and at ...

  1. New Computer Randomly Rebooting During XP Setup

    I just built a new computer (see below for specs), booted it up in
    preparation to install windows. I got all of the master-slave kinks
    sorted out, and booted to the windows CD. I began to install windows
    and at 3 or 4 percent, it gave me a blue screen of death, something
    related to a bad HDD...not a good omen, but not too bad, this
    harddrive was quirky in the old PC as well. Restarted, same thing
    happened. I ran a real format instead of the quickie one and it seemed
    to work ok until I rebooted and then got into that weird pre-windows
    environment where they advise you it'll be 39 minutes until its
    done...where it proceeded to not only take forever, but reboot a
    couple of times randomly, which would force me to restart the whole
    thing.

    All of that was last night, and I finally got some more HDD jumpers so
    I can properly set the master-slave so that hard drive is not the
    master and do another install of windows, but I wanted to post to see
    if anyone has an idea why this would happen not realted to messed up
    HDD's...

    Specs:

    AMD 3200+ Barthon
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    2x Kingston PC333 512mb DDR
    2x WD 30g HDD's (on a Promise Card, used for storage)
    Maxtor 40g HDD (going to be master)
    WD 13g HDD (was master, also is an old HDD)

    THANKS!!!

    TheSonOfKrypton

  2. Re: New Computer Randomly Rebooting During XP Setup

    I think you probably got some faulty rams. Try to take out one piece of your
    kingston 333 DDR and see if the remaining piece will run without that weirdo
    rebooting again when installing windows. .If it still gets in the way by
    rebooting half way thru, then try the other piece. Hope this helps......if
    not it could be a faulty motherboard. I got this ram problem in one
    instance. Also another instance was a faulty motherboard that will ONLY run
    windows after 5 to 10 minutes of warm up !

+ Reply to Thread