Slow Boot Time in XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Slow Boot Time in XP - Microsoft Windows ; Pleaaaase help me, i am goin insane with anger at this damn machine...even after a format of my hard drive and clean installation of windows XP do i have this problem. the problem? 98% of the time, when i boot ...

  1. Slow Boot Time in XP

    Pleaaaase help me, i am goin insane with anger at this damn
    machine...even after a format of my hard drive and clean installation
    of windows XP do i have this problem. the problem? 98% of the time,
    when i boot up windows, it takes ages, it will reach the blue screen
    saying "welcome" and stop there for about 30 seconds, then go to the
    desktop, but no desktop icons are shown neither any system tray icons,
    this happens for a further 1 - 2 mins. once this has happened, and
    this is the most annoying bit, i have no windows sounds, i have music
    if i play an MP3, but i have no sounds, such as startup sound or
    exclaimation sounds, just the motherboard giving me a beep(like the
    beep when u hold down too many keyboard keys at once). if the pc boots
    normally, i have perfect sound. this is very frustrating, and i hope
    u can help. here is what i have done so far:

    > checked regedit and msconfig and removed any unnecessary startup processes

    > checked for viruses and spyware (i have run about 6 different programs to remove things like this)

    so i am wondering if neone can help.

    by the way, when windows starts up, slowly or normal speed, 99% of the
    time, the icon for norton firewall and AV do not load. i have to
    actually open the firewall program and, da-daaa, the icons immediately
    appear, its as if opening the program kicks the auto-protect icon up
    the a*se telling it to get a move on.

    Nehow, i will really really appreciate any help as i have looked at
    many posts and none help or specify my problem (especially the lack of
    sound bit)

    Thanks Guys

    ======
    Gremlin Dude

  2. Re: Slow Boot Time in XP

    "Gremlin Dude" wrote in message
    news:5d8f90ea.0407071346.1d012b75@posting.google.c om...
    > Pleaaaase help me, i am goin insane with anger at this damn
    > machine...even after a format of my hard drive and clean installation
    > of windows XP do i have this problem. the problem? 98% of the time,
    > when i boot up windows, it takes ages, it will reach the blue screen
    > saying "welcome" and stop there for about 30 seconds, then go to the
    > desktop, but no desktop icons are shown neither any system tray icons,
    > this happens for a further 1 - 2 mins. once this has happened, and
    > this is the most annoying bit, i have no windows sounds, i have music
    > if i play an MP3, but i have no sounds, such as startup sound or
    > exclaimation sounds, just the motherboard giving me a beep(like the
    > beep when u hold down too many keyboard keys at once). if the pc boots
    > normally, i have perfect sound. this is very frustrating, and i hope
    > u can help. here is what i have done so far:
    >
    > > checked regedit and msconfig and removed any unnecessary startup

    processes

    > > checked for viruses and spyware (i have run about 6 different programs

    to remove things like this)

    > so i am wondering if neone can help.
    >
    > by the way, when windows starts up, slowly or normal speed, 99% of the
    > time, the icon for norton firewall and AV do not load. i have to
    > actually open the firewall program and, da-daaa, the icons immediately
    > appear, its as if opening the program kicks the auto-protect icon up
    > the a*se telling it to get a move on.
    >
    > Nehow, i will really really appreciate any help as i have looked at
    > many posts and none help or specify my problem (especially the lack of
    > sound bit)
    >
    > Thanks Guys
    >
    > ======
    > Gremlin Dude

    Have you checked your Event viewer? Sounds like a network or hardware
    problem to me. What about Device Manager - everything okay in there? Do
    you have DSL permanently on? Are you connected to a network?

    Do you have to login? If so, press and hold left SHIFT when doing so until
    the desktop loads up - this will not load most devices and software startups
    and see if its any quicker. Run full virus and spyware softtware also just
    for surity.

+ Reply to Thread