Restricted DHCP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Restricted DHCP - Microsoft Windows ; I have DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, etc servers. I need a way to have the DHCP server give IP addresses out to authorized computers that are allowed to use the network. I would like to keep the option of entering ...

  1. Restricted DHCP

    I have DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, etc servers. I need a way to have
    the DHCP server give IP addresses out to authorized computers that are
    allowed to use the network. I would like to keep the option of
    entering each and every MAC address as a last resort.

    So far, I have not found too much information to point me in the right
    direction. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Restricted DHCP

    gg2.20.joep@spamgourmet.com (JP) wrote in message news:<1b6225e5.0407061138.12e549fa@posting.google.com>...
    > I have DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, etc servers. I need a way to have
    > the DHCP server give IP addresses out to authorized computers that are
    > allowed to use the network. I would like to keep the option of
    > entering each and every MAC address as a last resort.
    >
    > So far, I have not found too much information to point me in the right
    > direction. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Would this work:

    Export a list of MAC addresses from the internal DNS server. Find out
    how/where Windows saves the DHCP configuration file that holds IP
    reservations, etc. Modify the file from the DNS server to match the
    one from the DHCP server and then overwrite the DHCP config file so
    that it now has the modified DNS file.

    Hopefully this would be the easiest way to restrict the DHCP server to
    give out IPs to authorized computers only.

    Thoughts? Comments?

  3. Re: Restricted DHCP

    "JP" wrote in message
    news:1b6225e5.0407081538.78c5d7c1@posting.google.c om...
    > gg2.20.joep@spamgourmet.com (JP) wrote in message

    > > I have DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, etc servers. I need a way to have
    > > the DHCP server give IP addresses out to authorized computers that are
    > > allowed to use the network. I would like to keep the option of
    > > entering each and every MAC address as a last resort.
    > >
    > > So far, I have not found too much information to point me in the right
    > > direction. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Would this work:
    >
    > Export a list of MAC addresses from the internal DNS server. Find out
    > how/where Windows saves the DHCP configuration file that holds IP
    > reservations, etc. Modify the file from the DNS server to match the
    > one from the DHCP server and then overwrite the DHCP config file so
    > that it now has the modified DNS file.
    >
    > Hopefully this would be the easiest way to restrict the DHCP server to
    > give out IPs to authorized computers only.
    >
    > Thoughts? Comments?

    The DNS files and cache are secured and not as easy to do as what you want
    for obvious security reasons. I take it your wanting to do this is because
    you have a lot of users?

  4. Re: Restricted DHCP

    "Hades" wrote in message news:<40f03867$0$18066$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...
    > "JP" wrote in message
    > news:1b6225e5.0407081538.78c5d7c1@posting.google.c om...
    > > gg2.20.joep@spamgourmet.com (JP) wrote in message

    > > > I have DHCP, Active Directory, DNS, etc servers. I need a way to have
    > > > the DHCP server give IP addresses out to authorized computers that are
    > > > allowed to use the network. I would like to keep the option of
    > > > entering each and every MAC address as a last resort.
    > > >
    > > > So far, I have not found too much information to point me in the right
    > > > direction. Any help would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    > > Would this work:
    > >
    > > Export a list of MAC addresses from the internal DNS server. Find out
    > > how/where Windows saves the DHCP configuration file that holds IP
    > > reservations, etc. Modify the file from the DNS server to match the
    > > one from the DHCP server and then overwrite the DHCP config file so
    > > that it now has the modified DNS file.
    > >
    > > Hopefully this would be the easiest way to restrict the DHCP server to
    > > give out IPs to authorized computers only.
    > >
    > > Thoughts? Comments?

    > The DNS files and cache are secured and not as easy to do as what you want
    > for obvious security reasons. I take it your wanting to do this is because
    > you have a lot of users?

    Right, too many comps to enter in one by one. Another idea I had was
    to put a firewall before the DHCP server and then add a rule(s) to
    allow outbound traffice and only allow inbound traffic for certain
    computers in an allow list.

    I've seen a couple firewalls where you can specify a comp name instead
    of an IP, but I haven't found any yet that have an easily configurable
    config file so that I could just dump the comp names from the server
    and modify the file so it looks like the firewalls.

+ Reply to Thread