XP Screen Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification Confusing Games - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP Screen Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification Confusing Games - Microsoft Windows ; I have a problem with Windows XP. The screen resolution slider exceeds the monitor specification. This did not occur on Windows '95 or Windows '98 On Windows '95 or Windows '98, if a monitor type of 800 x 600 was ...

  1. XP Screen Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification Confusing Games

    I have a problem with Windows XP.

    The screen resolution slider exceeds the monitor specification.

    This did not occur on Windows '95 or Windows '98

    On Windows '95 or Windows '98, if a monitor type of 800 x 600 was
    selected, the resolution slider in display properties would not exceed
    800 x 600,

    On Windows XP, the slider goes all the way up to 2048 x 1536, even
    though my monitor is only 800 x 600.

    I believe that this is causing me problems with some computer games.

    The computer games are trying to run at a resolution that exceeds my
    monitor specification.

    Is there a fix for this ?

    I do not want games to be aware of display modes that cannot be
    displayed on my monitor.

  2. Re: XP Screen Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification Confusing Games

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I have a problem with Windows XP.
    >
    > The screen resolution slider exceeds the monitor specification.
    >
    > This did not occur on Windows '95 or Windows '98
    >
    > On Windows '95 or Windows '98, if a monitor type of 800 x 600 was
    > selected, the resolution slider in display properties would not exceed
    > 800 x 600,
    >
    > On Windows XP, the slider goes all the way up to 2048 x 1536, even
    > though my monitor is only 800 x 600.
    >
    > I believe that this is causing me problems with some computer games.
    >
    > The computer games are trying to run at a resolution that exceeds my
    > monitor specification.
    >
    > Is there a fix for this ?
    >
    > I do not want games to be aware of display modes that cannot be
    > displayed on my monitor.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

    Install your monitor's *.inf -- you're using "Default Monitor" and seeing all
    the capabilities of your video card.

    --
    Diogenes

  3. Re: XP Screen Resolution Slider Exceeds Monitor Specification Confusing Games

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > On Windows XP, the slider goes all the way up to 2048 x 1536, even
    > though my monitor is only 800 x 600.

    On Display Properties, click "advance", on the "Monitor" tab, then check
    "Hide modes that the monitor cannot display", click apply of ok.

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread