XP did not assign a drive letter to new harddrive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP did not assign a drive letter to new harddrive - Microsoft Windows ; I just installed a new hard drive as a slave in my system. The BIOS recognized the drive and I can see it within Device Manager in Windows XP, however, XP did not assign a drive letter to it, therefore, ...

  1. XP did not assign a drive letter to new harddrive

    I just installed a new hard drive as a slave in my system. The BIOS
    recognized the drive and I can see it within Device Manager in Windows
    XP, however, XP did not assign a drive letter to it, therefore, I
    can't format it or anything. Device manager also noted it was enabled
    and working properly. What am I missing?

    TIA,
    Rob

  2. Re: XP did not assign a drive letter to new harddrive

    news@rldavidson.net (Rob Davidson) wrote in message news:<5c0eea94.0406141159.6c38c38d@posting.google.com>...
    > I just installed a new hard drive as a slave in my system. The BIOS
    > recognized the drive and I can see it within Device Manager in Windows
    > XP, however, XP did not assign a drive letter to it, therefore, I
    > can't format it or anything. Device manager also noted it was enabled
    > and working properly. What am I missing?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Rob

    Rob,

    Open the Computer Management applet and have a look in Disk
    Management. There you should see the disk (if it's the 2nd disk in
    the machine it'll be shown as Disk 1).
    From there you can right click on the disk (or highlight and go to teh
    actions menu) and then Format the disk - you'll need to do this before
    you can assign a drive letter.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread