I burnt a CD-RW at school, containing [among others] jdk1.4.2
I installed it onto my mother's desktop [running xp], no problems. But
my laptop [running '98] wouldn't access the disc. So I bought a CD-R
and copied the files onto that.
This disc worked perfectly in my laptop-- I opened the folders,
followed the instructions and installed the java files [the same way
I'd done it on the desktop]. When the installation was finished, a
message popped up, saying that to finish the installation, I'd need to
restart my computer.
When I did, I got an error message:

"Invalid HIBERNATION partition/file. . . RUN HDPREPZ. . .

Searching for Boot Record from CD-ROM. . Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from Floppy. . Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-O. . OK

Data error reading Drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail? [I'd select 'r']

Data error reading Drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail? [I'd select 'r' again]
VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows.
If this file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall Windows.

Windows has stopped. Press CRTL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer."

Does anyone know how to add VMM32.VXD to my paths [without having
Windows running], or anything else to fix this?