File Permissions in Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on File Permissions in Windows XP - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in ...

  1. File Permissions in Windows XP

    Hi,

    Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    properties dialog.

    There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.

    Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    protecting files?

    kjr

  2. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    "kjr" wrote in message
    news:9c03fff1.0406092324.48d8cde1@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    > users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    > protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    > properties dialog.
    >
    > There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    > other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    > file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    > thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.
    >
    > Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    > protecting files?
    >
    > kjr

    What about having each user's files located in subfolders under his
    individual "My Documents" main folder?

    regards Sven

  3. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    Uncheck
    Tools > Folder Options > View > Use simple file sharing

  4. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    kjr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    > users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    > protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    > properties dialog.
    >
    > There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    > other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    > file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    > thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.
    >
    > Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    > protecting files?
    >
    > kjr

    XP Pro
    NTFS
    No 'Simple File Sharing'
    Security tab on Folder Properties.

    --
    - relic -
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

  5. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    "Sven Pran" wrote in message news:...
    > "kjr" wrote in message
    > news:9c03fff1.0406092324.48d8cde1@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    > > users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    > > protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    > > properties dialog.
    > >
    > > There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    > > other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    > > file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    > > thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.
    > >
    > > Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    > > protecting files?
    > >
    > > kjr

    > What about having each user's files located in subfolders under his
    > individual "My Documents" main folder?
    >
    > regards Sven

    Sven,

    Thanks for your reply. Individual limited users can protect their
    files by storing in the "My Documents" folder as you suggest. But this
    restricts the way files are organized! All files need to be inside the
    "Documents and Settings" folder. If a file is outside this folder,
    then any limited user can take control and prevent other users from
    using it, including administrative users! How do we install software
    that all users can use? A limited user could encrypt the software's
    directory! (XP does prevent a limited user from encrypting files and
    folders of most installed software, but not all. Eg., I could not
    encrypt "Program Files\Adobe", but I could encrypt the oracle.exe
    file, and now I cannot start the Oracle service).

    kjr

  6. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    kjr wrote:
    > "Sven Pran" wrote in message
    >> "kjr" wrote in message
    >> news:9c03fff1.0406092324.48d8cde1@posting.google.c om...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    >>> users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    >>> protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    >>> properties dialog.
    >>>
    >>> There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    >>> other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    >>> file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    >>> thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    >>> protecting files?
    >>>
    >>> kjr

    >> What about having each user's files located in subfolders under his
    >> individual "My Documents" main folder?
    >>
    >> regards Sven

    > Sven,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Individual limited users can protect their
    > files by storing in the "My Documents" folder as you suggest. But this
    > restricts the way files are organized! All files need to be inside the
    > "Documents and Settings" folder. If a file is outside this folder,
    > then any limited user can take control and prevent other users from
    > using it, including administrative users! How do we install software
    > that all users can use? A limited user could encrypt the software's
    > directory! (XP does prevent a limited user from encrypting files and
    > folders of most installed software, but not all. Eg., I could not
    > encrypt "Program Files\Adobe", but I could encrypt the oracle.exe
    > file, and now I cannot start the Oracle service).

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! You tard****.

  7. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    kjr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP?

    If you have XP Pro, you can use gpedit.msc. If you have XP home, you're
    ****ed.

  8. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, File Sharing
    is not supported. See:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp
    which reads in part:
    "Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because
    this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also
    not available in Home Edition. "

    However, Home Edition does support file/folder compression (Zip) with
    a password. So you can create compressed folder(s) with password(s)
    which at least renders the files private. To do this click Start and
    choose Help and Support and enter the keyword: compress

    If you have any questions after that, post them here.

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 10 Jun 2004 00:24:43 -0700, kjr_one@hotmail.com (kjr) wrote:

    -|Hi,
    -|
    -|Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    -|users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    -|protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    -|properties dialog.
    -|
    -|There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    -|other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    -|file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    -|thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.
    -|
    -|Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    -|protecting files?
    -|
    -|kjr

    Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
    (a computing professional for 38 years)
    Email: SkipKnobleLESS at SPAMpsu dot edu
    Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
    Penn State Information Technology Services
    Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
    Graduate Education and Research Services
    Penn State University
    214C Computer Building
    University Park, PA 16802-21013
    Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049

  9. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    Thank you!

    I've been looking for that very setting for a few days now.

    That did the trick and was exactly what I was looking for.

    "" <@.> wrote in message
    > Uncheck
    > Tools > Folder Options > View > Use simple file sharing

  10. Re: File Permissions in Windows XP

    Herman D. Knoble wrote in message news:...
    > If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, File Sharing
    > is not supported. See:
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp
    > which reads in part:
    > "Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because
    > this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also
    > not available in Home Edition. "
    >
    > However, Home Edition does support file/folder compression (Zip) with
    > a password. So you can create compressed folder(s) with password(s)
    > which at least renders the files private. To do this click Start and
    > choose Help and Support and enter the keyword: compress
    >
    > If you have any questions after that, post them here.
    >
    > Skip Knoble, Penn State
    >

    > On 10 Jun 2004 00:24:43 -0700, kjr_one@hotmail.com (kjr) wrote:
    >
    > -|Hi,
    > -|
    > -|Isn't there a way to assign file permissions in XP? I have multiple
    > -|users created in my XP box, and I want the users' files to be
    > -|protected from one another. I do not see a "Security" tab in the
    > -|properties dialog.
    > -|
    > -|There is an option to encrypt the contents of a file, which prevents
    > -|other users from reading it. However, the other users can delete the
    > -|file! Also, if a file is not encrypted, any user can encrypt it and
    > -|thus prevent the real owner (who created the file) from accessing it.
    > -|
    > -|Wouldn't access control have been a simpler, and cleaner, way of
    > -|protecting files?
    > -|
    > -|kjr
    >

    > Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
    > (a computing professional for 38 years)
    > Email: SkipKnobleLESS at SPAMpsu dot edu
    > Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
    > Penn State Information Technology Services
    > Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
    > Graduate Education and Research Services
    > Penn State University
    > 214C Computer Building
    > University Park, PA 16802-21013
    > Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049

    I have XP Pro, and unchecking Tools->Folder Options->View->Use Simple
    File Sharing shows the security tab, as mentioned above.

    thanks for the responses.
    kjr

+ Reply to Thread