How do I mount a network share via a service? (WITHOUT user logins) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How do I mount a network share via a service? (WITHOUT user logins) - Microsoft Windows ; I want to setup up a bunch of load balanced Windows 2000 Server webservers behind a Linux Virtual Server Load Balancer [it's already deployed for a bunch of other things and works very very well]. My problem is so simple, ...

  1. How do I mount a network share via a service? (WITHOUT user logins)

    I want to setup up a bunch of load balanced Windows 2000 Server
    webservers behind a Linux Virtual Server Load Balancer [it's already
    deployed for a bunch of other things and works very very well].

    My problem is so simple, I'm surprised I haven't seen it written up on
    more websites: how to mount network volumes so that IIS can access
    shared content. I don't want to rely on "manual" file synchronisation
    methods because there are too many realservers, and the
    web-application processes user-uploaded assets which need to be
    immediately accessible from other member realservers.

    I've tried messing with SrvAny and scripts to do hard-coded NET USE
    commands, without success. I've tried with and without "interact with
    Desktop" and with + without "Login with alternate credentials".
    Nothing works. I just get an obscure error code. When I run the
    script directly as a logged-in user, it works fine.

    How exactly do Windows realservers mount SAN volumes? (Let me guess,
    funky SAN volume manager software.)

    Surely, people running with load balanced Windows webservers have had
    to face this issue, and surely people have solved it. Manually
    triggered file synchronisation is not really practical for this
    application.

    My realservers all have dual GigE, so I'm intending to dedicate one of
    their GigEs to a link with a high-speed SAMBA-based SMB server - I
    should have no trouble with file access bandwidth even with a dozen
    realservers behind the load balancer.

    I would greatly appreciate any clues or help in this area.

    Thanks!
    =Malcolm=

  2. Re: How do I mount a network share via a service? (WITHOUT user logins)

    I'm not currently using Win2K/Server, but I used to be an NT Certified
    geek...... In the server applet (in NT anyway) there was a feature to keep
    certain share points synchronized, for NETLOGON for example, on the
    identified servers. A change in any one of the directories/structures would
    initiate a sync process across the share points on all of the servers.

    Try looking for something like that...hopefully MS didn't get rid of that
    feature.

    MVD

    "Malcolm Baldridge" wrote in message
    news:4d308ea.0406021707.7e295975@posting.google.co m...
    > I want to setup up a bunch of load balanced Windows 2000 Server
    > webservers behind a Linux Virtual Server Load Balancer [it's already
    > deployed for a bunch of other things and works very very well].
    >
    > My problem is so simple, I'm surprised I haven't seen it written up on
    > more websites: how to mount network volumes so that IIS can access
    > shared content. I don't want to rely on "manual" file synchronisation
    > methods because there are too many realservers, and the
    > web-application processes user-uploaded assets which need to be
    > immediately accessible from other member realservers.
    >
    > I've tried messing with SrvAny and scripts to do hard-coded NET USE
    > commands, without success. I've tried with and without "interact with
    > Desktop" and with + without "Login with alternate credentials".
    > Nothing works. I just get an obscure error code. When I run the
    > script directly as a logged-in user, it works fine.
    >
    > How exactly do Windows realservers mount SAN volumes? (Let me guess,
    > funky SAN volume manager software.)
    >
    > Surely, people running with load balanced Windows webservers have had
    > to face this issue, and surely people have solved it. Manually
    > triggered file synchronisation is not really practical for this
    > application.
    >
    > My realservers all have dual GigE, so I'm intending to dedicate one of
    > their GigEs to a link with a high-speed SAMBA-based SMB server - I
    > should have no trouble with file access bandwidth even with a dozen
    > realservers behind the load balancer.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate any clues or help in this area.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > =Malcolm=

  3. Re: How do I mount a network share via a service? (WITHOUT user logins)

    You are thinking of NetLogon Replication - The purpose of this function is
    to keep login scripts etc in sync between Domain Controllers. It is NOT
    intended for your file share replication.

    The util you need for this use, is DFS (Distributed File System) which is
    designed to keep file shares in sync across many servers & workstations.
    Details can be found on the Win2k website.

    "Martin Verstrunk" wrote in message
    > I'm not currently using Win2K/Server, but I used to be an NT Certified
    > geek...... In the server applet (in NT anyway) there was a feature to
    > keep
    > certain share points synchronized, for NETLOGON for example, on the
    > identified servers. A change in any one of the directories/structures
    > would
    > initiate a sync process across the share points on all of the servers.
    >
    > Try looking for something like that...hopefully MS didn't get rid of that
    > feature.
    >
    > MVD
    >

    > "Malcolm Baldridge" wrote in message
    > news:4d308ea.0406021707.7e295975@posting.google.co m...
    >> I want to setup up a bunch of load balanced Windows 2000 Server
    >> webservers behind a Linux Virtual Server Load Balancer [it's already
    >> deployed for a bunch of other things and works very very well].
    >>
    >> My problem is so simple, I'm surprised I haven't seen it written up on
    >> more websites: how to mount network volumes so that IIS can access
    >> shared content. I don't want to rely on "manual" file synchronisation
    >> methods because there are too many realservers, and the
    >> web-application processes user-uploaded assets which need to be
    >> immediately accessible from other member realservers.
    >>
    >> I've tried messing with SrvAny and scripts to do hard-coded NET USE
    >> commands, without success. I've tried with and without "interact with
    >> Desktop" and with + without "Login with alternate credentials".
    >> Nothing works. I just get an obscure error code. When I run the
    >> script directly as a logged-in user, it works fine.
    >>
    >> How exactly do Windows realservers mount SAN volumes? (Let me guess,
    >> funky SAN volume manager software.)
    >>
    >> Surely, people running with load balanced Windows webservers have had
    >> to face this issue, and surely people have solved it. Manually
    >> triggered file synchronisation is not really practical for this
    >> application.
    >>
    >> My realservers all have dual GigE, so I'm intending to dedicate one of
    >> their GigEs to a link with a high-speed SAMBA-based SMB server - I
    >> should have no trouble with file access bandwidth even with a dozen
    >> realservers behind the load balancer.
    >>
    >> I would greatly appreciate any clues or help in this area.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> =Malcolm=

+ Reply to Thread