Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed - Microsoft Windows ; I have a network print server and I want my Windows 98 machine to print to this directly. Under Windows XP, I can do this. Under Windows XP, the following settings are showing for the printer: Port: PS1 Description: Standard ...

  1. Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed

    I have a network print server and I want my Windows 98 machine to
    print to this directly.

    Under Windows XP, I can do this.

    Under Windows XP, the following settings are showing for the printer:

    Port: PS1
    Printer: HP Laserjet 4

    Protocol: RAW
    Port Number: 9100

    I do not appear to have the facility to print to a standard TCP/IP
    port on Windows 98.

    Is there a patch or some free software that I can apply to Windows '98
    to allow me to print to a standard TCP/IP port.

    There is a patch to print to an LPR port, but this doesn't seem to
    work.

    I suspect that my print server does not support the LPR protocol.

    (I am using a DLINK DP100 Print Server, which connects into the
    network hub and provides two parallel printer ports).

    I do not wish to use IPX to work around this. I just want windows to
    print to a Standard TCP/IP port, as XP does.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this

  2. Re: Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed

    >I do not appear to have the facility to print to a standard TCP/IP
    > port on Windows 98.
    >
    > Is there a patch or some free software that I can apply to Windows '98
    > to allow me to print to a standard TCP/IP port.

    I don't think there is.
    This is why, when trying to get a Windows machine to print on a mixed
    network running Linux (variant Unix - TCP/IP for nearly everything)
    you need to install a program like Samba, to enable the Windows
    machines to print (etc) over the network.
    I.M.H.O. the IPX/SPX route is probably going to be your easiest
    option.

    If someone else knows better, please say, as I've had the same problem
    myself!

  3. Re: Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed

    Mark Hobley at markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com said:

    > I have a network print server and I want my Windows 98 machine
    > to print to this directly.
    >
    > Under Windows XP, I can do this.
    >
    > Under Windows XP, the following settings are showing for the
    > printer:
    >
    > Port: PS1
    > Printer: HP Laserjet 4
    >
    > Protocol: RAW
    > Port Number: 9100
    >
    > I do not appear to have the facility to print to a standard
    > TCP/IP port on Windows 98.
    >
    > Is there a patch or some free software that I can apply to
    > Windows '98 to allow me to print to a standard TCP/IP port.

    Yes there is! Provided by HP themselves for use with HP
    printers/printservers.
    1) Go to http://www.hp.com
    2) Click on "Support and Drivers"
    3) On the Support & Drivers page, select the option to "Download
    drivers and software" and in the "for:" field type "wizard" (without
    the quotation marks)
    4) On the "Matching Products" page, click on "HP Install Network
    Printer Wizard"
    5) On the next page, select your OS (Windows 98)
    6) Download the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (filename will be
    hpjsi_en.exe)
    7) When downloaded, run the file, it will unpack and install the HP
    Install Network Printer Wizard. You may or may not need to reboot
    when it's done, but it will then ask if you want to _run_ the HPINPW.
    You can go through the wizard to set up your TCP/IP port, OR at that
    point, you can go into the properties of your printer driver, and
    when you "Add POrt" you will now have the option of "HP Standard
    TCP/IP Port" which is effectively identical to your "Standard TCP/IP
    port on your XP machine(s).

    --
    -Reverend Spith
    Savior of Humanity

  4. Re: Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:50:40 GMT, Reverend Spith
    wrote:

    >You can go through the wizard to set up your TCP/IP port, OR at that
    >point, you can go into the properties of your printer driver, and
    >when you "Add POrt" you will now have the option of "HP Standard
    >TCP/IP Port" which is effectively identical to your "Standard TCP/IP
    >port on your XP machine(s).

    It asks for an IP address, but not a port number.

    It appears to be trying to auto detect something, then failing
    miserably.

    My print server supports multiple printers.

    I just want to output to an IP address and port number.

  5. Re: Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98 - Help Needed

    Reverend Spith wrote in message news:...

    > Yes there is! Provided by HP themselves for use with HP
    > printers/printservers.

    Thank you...
    I went to the site and downloaded v3 of the Wizard described;
    ran it..and let it do its thing.
    It found my printer (Epson not HP!), and set it up for me automatically.

    Works a treat now.

    Hurrah.

    W.A.N.W.

    > 1) Go to http://www.hp.com
    > 2) Click on "Support and Drivers"
    > 3) On the Support & Drivers page, select the option to "Download
    > drivers and software" and in the "for:" field type "wizard" (without
    > the quotation marks)
    > 4) On the "Matching Products" page, click on "HP Install Network
    > Printer Wizard"
    > 5) On the next page, select your OS (Windows 98)
    > 6) Download the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (filename will be
    > hpjsi_en.exe)
    > 7) When downloaded, run the file, it will unpack and install the HP
    > Install Network Printer Wizard. You may or may not need to reboot
    > when it's done, but it will then ask if you want to _run_ the HPINPW.
    > You can go through the wizard to set up your TCP/IP port, OR at that
    > point, you can go into the properties of your printer driver, and
    > when you "Add POrt" you will now have the option of "HP Standard
    > TCP/IP Port" which is effectively identical to your "Standard TCP/IP
    > port on your XP machine(s).

  6. Re: Printing to a Standard TCP/IP Port - works in XP but not '98- Help Needed

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I have a network print server and I want my Windows 98 machine to
    > print to this directly.
    >
    > Under Windows XP, I can do this.
    >
    > Under Windows XP, the following settings are showing for the printer:
    >
    > Port: PS1
    > Printer: HP Laserjet 4
    >
    > Protocol: RAW
    > Port Number: 9100
    >
    > I do not appear to have the facility to print to a standard TCP/IP
    > port on Windows 98.
    >
    > Is there a patch or some free software that I can apply to Windows '98
    > to allow me to print to a standard TCP/IP port.
    >
    > There is a patch to print to an LPR port, but this doesn't seem to
    > work.
    >
    > I suspect that my print server does not support the LPR protocol.
    >
    > (I am using a DLINK DP100 Print Server, which connects into the
    > network hub and provides two parallel printer ports).
    >
    > I do not wish to use IPX to work around this. I just want windows to
    > print to a Standard TCP/IP port, as XP does.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this

    I had a similar problem and was able to find a copy of their JetDirect
    software and install it. You might have trouble doing this now since
    they've buried that package and no longer have it for download. In my
    case the customer had it on floppy.

    Lies,
    dammned lies,
    and Scientology

    OSA = Order of Sadistic Assclowns

    ARC = Avarice, Retribution and Corruption

    My name is Lee Reynolds and I live in Tempe, AZ.
    My social security number is 314-15-9265
    I drive a blue 1990 Toyota Camry, license plate number OU-812
    I'm still waiting for my SP declare so I can have it framed.