XP Pro Slow Bootup, Floppy Disk reading - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP Pro Slow Bootup, Floppy Disk reading - Microsoft Windows ; When i start up winxp, it'll load farily quickly to the desktop, but once it gets there, notthing will respond or open once double clicked on. The computer is idle for about 30 - 45 seconds and the floppy disk ...

  1. XP Pro Slow Bootup, Floppy Disk reading

    When i start up winxp, it'll load farily quickly to the desktop, but
    once it gets there, notthing will respond or open once double clicked
    on. The computer is idle for about 30 - 45 seconds and the floppy disk
    reads on two seperate occasions during this time. Then it finally just
    starts working normally. Any ideas on how to fix?

    ed

  2. Re: XP Pro Slow Bootup, Floppy Disk reading

    edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0402240819.60310de9@posting.google.com>...
    > When i start up winxp, it'll load farily quickly to the desktop, but
    > once it gets there, notthing will respond or open once double clicked
    > on. The computer is idle for about 30 - 45 seconds and the floppy disk
    > reads on two seperate occasions during this time. Then it finally just
    > starts working normally. Any ideas on how to fix?
    >
    > ed

    I have the same question with you, and I have another one that is my
    DVD player can't autorun after I put disk into it. But it will be Ok
    after I re-login. What can i do?

  3. Re: XP Pro Slow Bootup, Floppy Disk reading

    Edward wrote:
    > When i start up winxp, it'll load farily quickly to the desktop, but
    > once it gets there, notthing will respond or open once double clicked
    > on. The computer is idle for about 30 - 45 seconds and the floppy disk
    > reads on two seperate occasions during this time. Then it finally just
    > starts working normally. Any ideas on how to fix?
    >
    > ed

    I used to see the same sort of thing under 9x and it was usually the
    result of the anti-virus software or bit rot in the registry.

    If I were you I'd run spybot, adaware, stinger, active-ports, and
    anything else you have to make sure your system is not infected with
    something. Make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date and is
    actually working. Also make sure that windows is up to date.

    Maybe I'm off the mark there, but I spend a lot of time at work dealing
    with systems that have been infected because some grad student clicked
    on a malware pop-up on a system with an unpatched version of IE. I'm
    downright paranoid about windows security. When a system does something
    strange for which there is no reasonable explanation, I assume it has
    been "HaX0r3d" and I'm usually right.

    Lies,
    dammned lies,
    and Scientology

    OSA = Order of Sadistic Assclowns

    ARC = Avarice, Retribution and Corruption

    My name is Lee Reynolds and I live in Tempe, AZ.
    My social security number is 314-15-9265
    I drive a blue 1990 Toyota Camry, license plate number OU-812
    I'm still waiting for my SP declare so I can have it framed.