reg. the OSPF routing - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on reg. the OSPF routing - Microsoft Windows ; Sir, I want to know about OSPF routing. R1--->R2--->R3---->R4---->R5 these are my routers. suppose if there is failure(hardware problem) in R3 what happens? Flooding is a method to send the routing table in OSPF. that is each router will send ...

  1. reg. the OSPF routing

    Sir,
    I want to know about OSPF routing.

    R1--->R2--->R3---->R4---->R5

    these are my routers.

    suppose if there is failure(hardware problem) in R3 what happens?
    Flooding is a method to send the routing table in OSPF.
    that is each router will send a copy of routing table to every other
    router.
    If that is the case if R3 fails what will happen to R4 & others.
    How does the router R4 get the routing table from R2?

    suppose R3 has recovered from failure then R3 will have to send Hello
    packets to its neighbors.
    How R3 will identify their neighbor & how R3 will know about its
    link(whether it is connected to R2 & R4) and how R3 will get back its
    routing table.

    Help me
    thks in adv
    karthik.

  2. Re: reg. the OSPF routing

    thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote in message news:...
    > Sir,
    > I want to know about OSPF routing.

    try this:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/1.html (the whole doc in html or
    pdf)
    especially
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/2.html#3.0 (backbones and virtual
    links)

    > R1--->R2--->R3---->R4---->R5
    >
    > these are my routers.
    >
    > suppose if there is failure(hardware problem) in R3 what happens?
    > Flooding is a method to send the routing table in OSPF.
    > that is each router will send a copy of routing table to every other
    > router.
    > If that is the case if R3 fails what will happen to R4 & others.
    > How does the router R4 get the routing table from R2?

    It won't if R3 goes off-line! It's the same as if someone chopped
    your cabling in two with an axe.

    > suppose R3 has recovered from failure then R3 will have to send Hello
    > packets to its neighbors.
    > How R3 will identify their neighbor & how R3 will know about its
    > link(whether it is connected to R2 & R4) and how R3 will get back its
    > routing table.
    >
    > Help me
    > thks in adv
    > karthik.

    If I understand your layout, you need to reconsider your design. You
    have no way to propogate routing info into or beyond _any_ router that
    goes down. Any routing layout needs multiple physical paths (layered
    or mesh) to control the effects of routers going off-line. You need a
    "backbone", a common point for distributing routing info. See guide
    above -- it's well done -- and closely resembles Linux implementations
    of OSPF.

    The answers to the other questions will be clarified when you work
    your way through a proper design that takes advantage of OSPF.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

+ Reply to Thread