Windows XP reports "the file is being used by another program..." when it is not... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Windows XP reports "the file is being used by another program..." when it is not... - Microsoft Windows ; when i tried to rename some files, I got this error messange "the file is being used by another program...", but they are not...I rebooted the machine and XP is stil doing the same thing...I booted up in "save mode", ...

  1. Windows XP reports "the file is being used by another program..." when it is not...

    when i tried to rename some files, I got this error messange "the file
    is being used by another program...", but they are not...I rebooted
    the machine and XP is stil doing the same thing...I booted up in "save
    mode", same thing...I tried to boot up with "command prompt", now i
    can rename the file...boot up in normal mode, i cannont rename the
    files again...
    anybody have any ideas...or is there a utility that i can check which
    program that XP "thinks" is using those files...thanks...

  2. Re: Windows XP reports "the file is being used by another program..." when it is not...

    I've used a utility called HandleEx to do this. A web search should
    give you a place to download it.

    kulon41@hotmail.com (Blue) wrote in message news:<4ab2f6b5.0312310655.6034362@posting.google.com>...
    > when i tried to rename some files, I got this error messange "the file
    > is being used by another program...", but they are not...I rebooted
    > the machine and XP is stil doing the same thing...I booted up in "save
    > mode", same thing...I tried to boot up with "command prompt", now i
    > can rename the file...boot up in normal mode, i cannont rename the
    > files again...
    > anybody have any ideas...or is there a utility that i can check which
    > program that XP "thinks" is using those files...thanks...

+ Reply to Thread