Problem with Sony Vaio - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Problem with Sony Vaio - Microsoft Windows ; Hi! I own a Sony Vaio Laptop. It is a old 366 Mhz PC with 32 MB RAM. A stupid problem make it impossible to run it under Windows: when I try to install Win 2000, the whole Laptop is ...

  1. Problem with Sony Vaio

    Hi!

    I own a Sony Vaio Laptop. It is a old 366 Mhz PC with 32 MB RAM. A
    stupid problem make it impossible to run it under Windows: when I try
    to install Win 2000, the whole Laptop is turned off after 2 or 3
    minutes. It seems, that something with the power save property isn't
    all right. I installed Debian Woody Linux, but the result is the same,
    as long, as I start the usuall kernel. When I start Linux with the
    following parameters: "linux acpi=off apm=off no-hlt" this laptop is
    running without any trouble for long, long time. I deactivated APM in
    the BIOS, an the CPU is set up to full speed.

    Does anybody know, what could I do to install Windows on this Laptop?
    It seems, that the laptop is not switched off, but it's going into
    some mode of power save: the LEDs are on, but it is not possible to
    wake him up. I have to turn him off and to restart.

    Thank you!

    Daniel

  2. Re: Problem with Sony Vaio

    daniel.ludwig@dregis.com (Daniel Ludwig) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I own a Sony Vaio Laptop. It is a old 366 Mhz PC with 32 MB RAM. A
    > stupid problem make it impossible to run it under Windows: when I try
    > to install Win 2000, the whole Laptop is turned off after 2 or 3
    > minutes. It seems, that something with the power save property isn't
    > all right. I installed Debian Woody Linux, but the result is the same,
    > as long, as I start the usuall kernel. When I start Linux with the
    > following parameters: "linux acpi=off apm=off no-hlt" this laptop is
    > running without any trouble for long, long time. I deactivated APM in
    > the BIOS, an the CPU is set up to full speed.
    >
    > Does anybody know, what could I do to install Windows on this Laptop?
    > It seems, that the laptop is not switched off, but it's going into
    > some mode of power save: the LEDs are on, but it is not possible to
    > wake him up. I have to turn him off and to restart.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Daniel

    *sound of tumbleweed rolling past*

+ Reply to Thread