HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ? - Microsoft Windows ; My computer recently developed a problem. In a fresh bootup, with no other programs running, when I click on the MS-PROMP thing trying to get a MS-DOS window, I got the following error message: "There is not enough memory available ...

  1. HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ?

    My computer recently developed a problem.

    In a fresh bootup, with no other programs running, when I click on the
    MS-PROMP thing trying to get a MS-DOS window, I got the following
    error message:

    "There is not enough memory available to run this program.

    Quit one or more programs, and then try again."

    My computer runs on Win 98 SE, has 512 MegaByte of RAM. I just don't
    believe that the MS-DOS eats all the 512 MB of RAM.

    I ran the "regclean" utility (from Microsoft) and the utility reports
    no problem. I ran Norton Utilities' "system diagnosis" and it too
    reports no problem. And still my computer tells me that with all the
    512 MB on board, it can't even run an MS-DOS window.

    However, I can run other ram-intensive applications, such as AUTOCAD
    or POVRAY without any problem. So that means there should be no
    problem with the RAM access. Perhaps some settings somewhere might
    have been corrupted, but where ?

    Can anyone please help out ?

    Is this the place to ask for help ? Are there other places on the
    internet that I can look for help ? Please help !!

    Thank you all in advance !

    Regards,
    Lee

  2. Re: HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ?

    "Penang" schreef in bericht
    news:f2375275.0311252328.15d37b39@posting.google.c om...
    > My computer recently developed a problem.
    >
    > In a fresh bootup, with no other programs running, when I click on the
    > MS-PROMP thing trying to get a MS-DOS window, I got the following
    > error message:
    >
    > "There is not enough memory available to run this program.
    >
    > Quit one or more programs, and then try again."
    >
    > My computer runs on Win 98 SE, has 512 MegaByte of RAM. I just don't
    > believe that the MS-DOS eats all the 512 MB of RAM.
    >
    > I ran the "regclean" utility (from Microsoft) and the utility reports
    > no problem. I ran Norton Utilities' "system diagnosis" and it too
    > reports no problem. And still my computer tells me that with all the
    > 512 MB on board, it can't even run an MS-DOS window.
    >
    > However, I can run other ram-intensive applications, such as AUTOCAD
    > or POVRAY without any problem. So that means there should be no
    > problem with the RAM access. Perhaps some settings somewhere might
    > have been corrupted, but where ?
    >
    > Can anyone please help out ?
    >
    > Is this the place to ask for help ? Are there other places on the
    > internet that I can look for help ? Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you all in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    > Lee

    Do you want to run an executable? Then you have to adjust the memorysettings
    to run that program well. Just rightclick on the executable and on the page
    'Memory' change the EMS memory-setting to 'Automatic'. If it still doesn't
    work, change it to, well let's say 4096....

    James

  3. Re: HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ?

    "Penang" wrote in message
    news:f2375275.0311252328.15d37b39@posting.google.c om...
    > My computer recently developed a problem.
    >
    > In a fresh bootup, with no other programs running, when I click on the
    > MS-PROMP thing trying to get a MS-DOS window, I got the following
    > error message:
    >
    > "There is not enough memory available to run this program.
    >
    > Quit one or more programs, and then try again."
    >
    > My computer runs on Win 98 SE, has 512 MegaByte of RAM. I just don't
    > believe that the MS-DOS eats all the 512 MB of RAM.
    >
    > I ran the "regclean" utility (from Microsoft) and the utility reports
    > no problem. I ran Norton Utilities' "system diagnosis" and it too
    > reports no problem. And still my computer tells me that with all the
    > 512 MB on board, it can't even run an MS-DOS window.
    >
    > However, I can run other ram-intensive applications, such as AUTOCAD
    > or POVRAY without any problem. So that means there should be no
    > problem with the RAM access. Perhaps some settings somewhere might
    > have been corrupted, but where ?
    >
    > Can anyone please help out ?
    >
    > Is this the place to ask for help ? Are there other places on the
    > internet that I can look for help ? Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you all in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    > Lee

    you can right click on the shortcut
    then adjust the memory settings

  4. Re: HELP !! What is wrong with my computer ?

    Start here look for your error message and some clues.
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/memory.htm
    --

    Henri Leboeuf

    "Penang" wrote in message
    news:f2375275.0311252328.15d37b39@posting.google.c om...
    > My computer recently developed a problem.
    >
    > In a fresh bootup, with no other programs running, when I click on the
    > MS-PROMP thing trying to get a MS-DOS window, I got the following
    > error message:
    >
    > "There is not enough memory available to run this program.
    >
    > Quit one or more programs, and then try again."
    >
    > My computer runs on Win 98 SE, has 512 MegaByte of RAM. I just don't
    > believe that the MS-DOS eats all the 512 MB of RAM.
    >
    > I ran the "regclean" utility (from Microsoft) and the utility reports
    > no problem. I ran Norton Utilities' "system diagnosis" and it too
    > reports no problem. And still my computer tells me that with all the
    > 512 MB on board, it can't even run an MS-DOS window.
    >
    > However, I can run other ram-intensive applications, such as AUTOCAD
    > or POVRAY without any problem. So that means there should be no
    > problem with the RAM access. Perhaps some settings somewhere might
    > have been corrupted, but where ?
    >
    > Can anyone please help out ?
    >
    > Is this the place to ask for help ? Are there other places on the
    > internet that I can look for help ? Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you all in advance !
    >
    > Regards,
    > Lee

+ Reply to Thread