Help, Please... Why is Win XP So Slow ? ? ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help, Please... Why is Win XP So Slow ? ? ? - Microsoft Windows ; Help, Please... Why is this machine So Slow? My OLD PC was 350 Mhz, Win98SE, 32 Mb RAM, 20 Gb HD. My NEW PC is Celeron 1.7 Ghz, Win XP Home, 480 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD. The New PC ...

  1. Help, Please... Why is Win XP So Slow ? ? ?

    Help, Please...

    Why is this machine So Slow?

    My OLD PC was 350 Mhz, Win98SE, 32 Mb RAM, 20 Gb HD.
    My NEW PC is Celeron 1.7 Ghz, Win XP Home, 480 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD.

    The New PC (from a PC Club storefront) is infinately slower !

    Both PCs were/are on a 56K modem.
    It now takes Windows Explorer 40 seconds to delete a small file.
    It takes 1 minute 20 seconds to load the Ebay.com home page.

    I go to WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com every few weeks and I do whatever
    they recommend.
    I click Start, Turn Off Computer, and Restart every day, and it's
    always powered up.

    During the three months that I've owned this thing,
    now, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer,
    Application has 76 events; about 20 are Errors,
    Security has 1,945 events; about 90 are Failure Audit,
    System has 3,127 events; about 110 are Warning, and about 970 are
    Error.

    What Is Up With This Thing ? ? ?

    PLEASE Help ! ! !

    Thanks very much for any advice you can offer.

    Mark S.

  2. Re: Help, Please... Why is Win XP So Slow ? ? ?

    Look at the error messages and post a few here if you don't understand
    them. Before posting search google or microsoft's support sites with
    those error messages/numbers.

    Also try this - setting - control panel - system - Advanced and look
    for performance settings.(check all the tabs and locate where you have
    settings for performance/appearance)

    Check the virtual memory levels. Try with the default settings there
    and tweak if needed.

    Also check with browser's cache settings. Try another browser like
    Mozilla Firebird.

    Hope this helps.

    Mark246@email.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<455dcf56.0311192057.7bdaab36@posting.google.com>...
    > Help, Please...
    >
    > Why is this machine So Slow?
    >
    > My OLD PC was 350 Mhz, Win98SE, 32 Mb RAM, 20 Gb HD.
    > My NEW PC is Celeron 1.7 Ghz, Win XP Home, 480 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD.
    >
    > The New PC (from a PC Club storefront) is infinately slower !
    >
    > Both PCs were/are on a 56K modem.
    > It now takes Windows Explorer 40 seconds to delete a small file.
    > It takes 1 minute 20 seconds to load the Ebay.com home page.
    >
    > I go to WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com every few weeks and I do whatever
    > they recommend.
    > I click Start, Turn Off Computer, and Restart every day, and it's
    > always powered up.
    >
    > During the three months that I've owned this thing,
    > now, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer,
    > Application has 76 events; about 20 are Errors,
    > Security has 1,945 events; about 90 are Failure Audit,
    > System has 3,127 events; about 110 are Warning, and about 970 are
    > Error.
    >
    > What Is Up With This Thing ? ? ?
    >
    > PLEASE Help ! ! !
    >
    > Thanks very much for any advice you can offer.
    >
    > Mark S.

  3. Re: Help, Please... Why is Win XP So Slow ? ? ?

    Mark246@email.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<455dcf56.0311192057.7bdaab36@posting.google.com>...
    > Help, Please...
    >
    > Why is this machine So Slow?
    >
    > My OLD PC was 350 Mhz, Win98SE, 32 Mb RAM, 20 Gb HD.
    > My NEW PC is Celeron 1.7 Ghz, Win XP Home, 480 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD.
    >
    > The New PC (from a PC Club storefront) is infinately slower !
    >
    > Both PCs were/are on a 56K modem.
    > It now takes Windows Explorer 40 seconds to delete a small file.
    > It takes 1 minute 20 seconds to load the Ebay.com home page.
    >
    > I go to WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com every few weeks and I do whatever
    > they recommend.
    > I click Start, Turn Off Computer, and Restart every day, and it's
    > always powered up.

    [snip]

    I understand there are quite a few third-party applications, like
    Norton Tools et al. that are only a few hundred dollars. These will
    take a look at your system for you and make changes / give advice. You
    may want to buy a third-party disk defragmentation tool as well.

+ Reply to Thread