DOS - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on DOS - Microsoft Windows ; Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP. It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP? In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs ...

  1. DOS

    Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    there.

    Any help in this matter would be appreciated

    Troot

  2. Re: DOS

    "johnlittlepeap" schreef in bericht
    news:be5cd07c.0311180548.3ebba3db@posting.google.c om...
    > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    > In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    > there.
    >
    > Any help in this matter would be appreciated
    >
    > Troot

    Why do you need a bootdisk? Just rightclick on the executable and enable
    'win98' or 'Dos' mode. It should do the trick...

    James

  3. Re: DOS

    "James Ellroy" wrote in message news:...
    > "johnlittlepeap" schreef in bericht
    > news:be5cd07c.0311180548.3ebba3db@posting.google.c om...
    > > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    > > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    > > In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Any help in this matter would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Troot

    > Why do you need a bootdisk? Just rightclick on the executable and enable
    > 'win98' or 'Dos' mode. It should do the trick...
    >
    > James

    Unfortunately it doesn't (must be because its a game). Every time I
    try to run it in XP it tells me I havn't got another EMS (Extended
    memory). From what I can tell I need to have dos loaded into 'high'
    memory and to do this I need a boot disk.

  4. Re: DOS

    johnlittlepeap@hotmail.com (johnlittlepeap) wrote in message news:...
    > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    > In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    > there.
    >
    > Any help in this matter would be appreciated
    >
    > Troot

    Well, the easiest way to make a boot disk in XP is to go to "My
    Computer", Right-click the floppy drive, select format, check "Make
    MS-DOS Boot Disk", and hit start. Its pretty simple!

  5. Re: DOS

    patrick.thurmond@comcast.net (Patrick) wrote in message news:<60ce6604.0311192059.7a8b5641@posting.google.com>...
    > johnlittlepeap@hotmail.com (johnlittlepeap) wrote in message news:...
    > > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    > > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    > > In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Any help in this matter would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Troot

    > Well, the easiest way to make a boot disk in XP is to go to "My
    > Computer", Right-click the floppy drive, select format, check "Make
    > MS-DOS Boot Disk", and hit start. Its pretty simple!

    cheers Paddy, its always easy when you know how ;o)

  6. Re: DOS

    johnlittlepeap@hotmail.com (johnlittlepeap) wrote in
    news:be5cd07c.0311180548.3ebba3db@posting.google.c om:

    > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP.
    > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP?
    > In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk
    > there.
    >
    > Any help in this matter would be appreciated
    >
    > Troot

    use dosbox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ which emulates dos environment
    under windows xp so that you can run dos games without quitting windows.

+ Reply to Thread