Why Windows doesn't recognize font ? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Why Windows doesn't recognize font ? - Microsoft Windows ; I bought some new Chinese fonts yesterday, and when I tried to install on my windows machine (Windows ME, Traditional Chinese version), Windows refused to recognize them ! Why ? I even went to check on Control-Panel > Fonts and ...

  1. Why Windows doesn't recognize font ?

    I bought some new Chinese fonts yesterday, and when I tried to install
    on my windows machine (Windows ME, Traditional Chinese version),
    Windows refused to recognize them !

    Why ?

    I even went to check on Control-Panel > Fonts and those fonts were not
    showing up.

    I took the same fonts and installed on my sister's machine (Windows
    XP) and they worked, just that on MY machine they just never got
    recognized !

    Is there anything I can do, short of upgrading my machine so that it
    can run XP ?

    Many thanks in advance !

  2. Re: Why Windows doesn't recognize font ?

    penang@myrealbox.com (Penang) wrote in
    news:f2375275.0311150105.662f380a@posting.google.c om:

    > I bought some new Chinese fonts yesterday, and when I tried to install
    > on my windows machine (Windows ME, Traditional Chinese version),
    > Windows refused to recognize them !
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > I even went to check on Control-Panel > Fonts and those fonts were not
    > showing up.
    >
    > I took the same fonts and installed on my sister's machine (Windows
    > XP) and they worked, just that on MY machine they just never got
    > recognized !
    >
    > Is there anything I can do, short of upgrading my machine so that it
    > can run XP ?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance !

    Make sure you don't have *too many* fonts.
    Fonts kept being refused here after I went over a certain number.
    Try deleting (but make sure you have another copy of them ^^,) some and
    then try to install the new ones.

  3. Re: Why Windows doesn't recognize font ?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]

    On 2003-11-15, Penang wrote:
    > I bought some new Chinese fonts yesterday, and when I tried to install
    > on my windows machine (Windows ME, Traditional Chinese version),
    > Windows refused to recognize them !
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > I even went to check on Control-Panel > Fonts and those fonts were not
    > showing up.
    >
    > I took the same fonts and installed on my sister's machine (Windows
    > XP) and they worked, just that on MY machine they just never got
    > recognized !
    >
    > Is there anything I can do, short of upgrading my machine so that it
    > can run XP ?

    What kind of fonts? Regular TrueType fonts should work fine. Type 1
    fonts may need Adobe's Type Manager program:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/main.html

    If these are OpenType fonts, then WindowsME will be unable to use them.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

  4. Re: Why Windows doesn't recognize font ?

    Thank you all for your replies !

    Right now I am downloading that program from adobe, and in the
    meantime, can anyone please tell me how to know if a particular font
    is Type 1 font ?

    Is there any characteristic, like filename or filedate or filesize ?

    I really have no idea what I have bought, just that my WinME computer
    wouldn't even recognize it.

    Thanks again !

    John Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.misc.]
    >
    > On 2003-11-15, Penang wrote:
    > > I bought some new Chinese fonts yesterday, and when I tried to install
    > > on my windows machine (Windows ME, Traditional Chinese version),
    > > Windows refused to recognize them !
    > >
    > > Why ?
    > >
    > > I even went to check on Control-Panel > Fonts and those fonts were not
    > > showing up.
    > >
    > > I took the same fonts and installed on my sister's machine (Windows
    > > XP) and they worked, just that on MY machine they just never got
    > > recognized !
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can do, short of upgrading my machine so that it
    > > can run XP ?

    > What kind of fonts? Regular TrueType fonts should work fine. Type 1
    > fonts may need Adobe's Type Manager program:
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/main.html
    >
    > If these are OpenType fonts, then WindowsME will be unable to use them.

  5. Re: Why Windows doesn't recognize font ?

    Penang wrote:
    > Thank you all for your replies !
    >
    > Right now I am downloading that program from adobe, and in the
    > meantime, can anyone please tell me how to know if a particular font
    > is Type 1 font ?
    >
    > Is there any characteristic, like filename or filedate or filesize ?
    > I really have no idea what I have bought, just that my WinME computer
    > wouldn't even recognize it.

    Here's a FAQ that will answer many of your questions.
    http://www.abf.jamesgoffin.co.uk

    - Character

+ Reply to Thread