Removable Drives Disappear from Windows2000 - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Removable Drives Disappear from Windows2000 - Microsoft Windows ; I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 on my Compaq Presario PC. Recently, when I was downloading some files off of Kazaa, I noticed that my removeable CD-ROM drives no longer show up in "My Computer" or the "Device Manager"; ...

  1. Removable Drives Disappear from Windows2000

    I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 on my Compaq Presario PC.
    Recently, when I was downloading some files off of Kazaa, I noticed
    that my removeable CD-ROM drives no longer show up in "My Computer" or
    the "Device Manager"; they just suddenly disappered!! (I can't even
    see them in safe mode...) However, my external USB Zip drive still
    shows.

    drives
    =================================
    COMPAQ DVD-ROM GD-2500
    PHILIPS PCA460RW

    I know the drives are still in existance, because I can see them in
    the "Computer Management" window:

    (Right-click on 'My Computer', select 'Manage', Storage (Tree tab) --
    Removable Storage -- Physical Locations.)

    My drives (listed above) have X's on them, indicating that the drives
    are not present or Empty. I have temporarily posted screenshots at
    the following URL:

    http://www.geocities.com/temp01742

    I also tried using the "Add/Remove Hardware" control panel. It didn't
    recognize my drives when searching for Plug-and-Play and Non
    Plug-and-Play hardware devices.

    Does anyone know how I can solve this conflict?? Posssibly this could
    be a registry problem, but I'm not sure. I have a firewall, virus
    protection, and my hard drive is virus-free. The LAST thing I want to
    do is to start over and reinstall Windows 2000 @:|

    Thanks,

    Erik.

  2. Re: Removable Drives Disappear from Windows2000

    Blast!! It turned out to be a loose IDE cable from the CD-ROM drives
    on the inside of my computer...

    Problem Solved

  3. Re: Removable Drives Disappear from Windows2000

    On 1 Sep 2003 17:24:30 -0700, Erik_H wrote:

    > Blast!! It turned out to be a loose IDE cable from the CD-ROM drives
    > on the inside of my computer...
    >
    > Problem Solved

    Erik;

    Thanks for letting us know though. Saved at least one of us a good amount
    of time. 30 seconds ago, I was chomping at the bit to solve your
    "problem."

    -Ungoy

+ Reply to Thread