System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1) - Microsoft Windows ; Put simply, the problem is this: my system is "pausing" briefly approximately every 1 second (video and sound both pause). This pausing is intermittant, but it ALWAYS happens when I run a 3D game. However, it also happens when I ...

  1. System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1)

    Put simply, the problem is this: my system is "pausing" briefly
    approximately every 1 second (video and sound both pause). This
    pausing is intermittant, but it ALWAYS happens when I run a 3D game.
    However, it also happens when I have NO other programs running (I even
    went through the Task Manager once and killed every process I was able
    to, but the pausing remained). This started happening several days
    ago, despite the fact that I haven't made any changes to hardware or
    software (including drivers) to my recollection.

    Something that may be relevant is that I found one of my hard drives
    appearing as RAW one morning less than a week ago. It was fine the
    night before. I couldn't access any of the data on it through Windows
    XP, but I COULD by booting to the DOS/command prompt with a boot disk.
    The other hard drive on my system was fine. Around the same time
    (this may be a coincidence), my system started pausing as I described
    above. I formatted both hard drives 2 days ago, and re-installed
    Windows XP. The pausing problem persists.

    Norton AntiVirus 2003 has found no virus, and Ad-Aware 6 has found no
    spyware that could be causing the problem. I have installed a few
    different versions of video card drivers, but the problem remains with
    all of them (and the problem didn't exist when using the same most
    recent version of the drivers before the pausing originally started
    happening). Other than that, I haven't installed any third-party
    drivers (all the other drivers were taken care of when I installed
    Windows XP). When the problem started happening, I was running
    Direct-X 9.0a, and am currently running Direct-X 9.0b.

    What's puzzling, however, is that this pausing problem does NOT happen
    when I boot into Safe mode. I have taken out and re-installed my
    video card and sound card, and I also checked the IDE cables. I have
    also installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers (4.48v). I have Windows
    XP SP1 installed, and all updates from Windows Update. The only
    peripherals connected are my keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer.

    At this point, I have no idea what else to do. My system is as
    follows:

    - MSI KT4V Motherboard (Via VT400 chipset)
    - AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    - ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    - SB Live!
    - 2 x Quantum Fireball Plus LM hard drives

    I'm not sure if anything else is relevant. If anyone has ANY ideas or
    suggestions, please let me know, as I'm at my wit's end.

  2. Re: System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1)

    Assuming it's not a hardware failure, have
    you tried running any diagnostic programs
    to se if you can find the source of the problem?
    If you need one, a cheap and easy to use
    one is Norton SystemWorks 2003 which
    I saw on ebAY the other day for $5.00 plus $5.00 s/h. It the CD only, but the
    manual
    is on the CD.
    It has a program called Windoctor that analyzes your Windows installation,
    reports any problems it finds and offers to fix them for you. hth

    >Put simply, the problem is this: my system is "pausing" briefly
    >approximately every 1 second (video and sound both pause). This
    >pausing is intermittant, but it ALWAYS happens when I run a 3D game.
    >However, it also happens when I have NO other programs running (I even
    >went through the Task Manager once and killed every process I was able
    >to, but the pausing remained). This started happening several days
    >ago, despite the fact that I haven't made any changes to hardware or
    >software (including drivers) to my recollection.
    >
    >Something that may be relevant is that I found one of my hard drives
    >appearing as RAW one morning less than a week ago. It was fine the
    >night before. I couldn't access any of the data on it through Windows
    >XP, but I COULD by booting to the DOS/command prompt with a boot disk.
    > The other hard drive on my system was fine. Around the same time
    >(this may be a coincidence), my system started pausing as I described
    >above. I formatted both hard drives 2 days ago, and re-installed
    >Windows XP. The pausing problem persists.
    >
    >Norton AntiVirus 2003 has found no virus, and Ad-Aware 6 has found no
    >spyware that could be causing the problem. I have installed a few
    >different versions of video card drivers, but the problem remains with
    >all of them (and the problem didn't exist when using the same most
    >recent version of the drivers before the pausing originally started
    >happening). Other than that, I haven't installed any third-party
    >drivers (all the other drivers were taken care of when I installed
    >Windows XP). When the problem started happening, I was running
    >Direct-X 9.0a, and am currently running Direct-X 9.0b.
    >
    >What's puzzling, however, is that this pausing problem does NOT happen
    >when I boot into Safe mode. I have taken out and re-installed my
    >video card and sound card, and I also checked the IDE cables. I have
    >also installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers (4.48v). I have Windows
    >XP SP1 installed, and all updates from Windows Update. The only
    >peripherals connected are my keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer.
    >
    >At this point, I have no idea what else to do. My system is as
    >follows:
    >
    > - MSI KT4V Motherboard (Via VT400 chipset)
    > - AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    > - ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    > - SB Live!
    > - 2 x Quantum Fireball Plus LM hard drives
    >
    >I'm not sure if anything else is relevant. If anyone has ANY ideas or
    >suggestions, please let me know, as I'm at my wit's end.

  3. Re: System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1)

    if the pausing dosnt take place in safe mode u can be sure its nothing
    to do with ur hardware config.. try checking to see if any services
    such as indexing or find fast are enabled, dissable all unecc
    seriveces.
    double check all software running

  4. Re: System pauses once every second, but intermittantly (WinXP SP1)

    I'm sorry but I don't know english very good.

    I had te same problem with an Acer Power 6100. The solution is simple.
    Go to System Properties\Hardware Configuration, and disable the LAN
    card. If you need this card try with another LAN card, if not, pray
    for help.
    If this solution works with your PC, please respond me the result.

    Bye.

+ Reply to Thread