how to downloaded 2 files, using "ftp"? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on how to downloaded 2 files, using "ftp"? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I am trying to download 3 files simultaneously from some ftp site. So I opened the command prompt, and typed the following commands. 1) ftp ftp.telus.net 2) I used "ftp" as a user name 3) I used "my email ...

  1. how to downloaded 2 files, using "ftp"?

    Hi, I am trying to download 3 files simultaneously from some ftp
    site. So I opened the command prompt, and typed the following
    commands.

    1) ftp ftp.telus.net
    2) I used "ftp" as a user name
    3) I used "my email address" as a password
    4) I "cd" into the directory that holds the files that I wanted
    5) I used " mget file_1 file2"

    Now at this point, I realized that only file_1 was being downloaded,
    not file_1 and file_2 at the same time. Is there any way that I can do
    that?
    I tried some ftp software, such as "aceftp3 " or " Wsftp". They both
    say that they support multi-downloading, but when I tried it, it seems
    that they both download one file at a time.
    I have both Internet Explore and Netscape. Because I heard that their
    default ftp transfer mode is not binary, I am wondering if I can set
    the downloading mode to be binary.
    Thank you very much in advance, and have a good day.

  2. Re: how to downloaded 2 files, using "ftp"?

    When I use the command line ftp, I can use properly mget and mput the
    way they should work.

    > Now at this point, I realized that only file_1 was being downloaded,
    > not file_1 and file_2 at the same time.

    What exactly do you mean by not downloading the same time? Well the
    mget command doesn?t get the files at the same time, rather it gets
    all of the specified files at the same request.

    Hope this helps you,
    Daniel Goldman
    http://d-goldman.org

  3. Re: how to downloaded 2 files, using "ftp"?

    takashi wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, I am trying to download 3 files simultaneously from some ftp
    > site. So I opened the command prompt, and typed the following
    > commands.
    >
    > 1) ftp ftp.telus.net
    > 2) I used "ftp" as a user name
    > 3) I used "my email address" as a password
    > 4) I "cd" into the directory that holds the files that I wanted
    > 5) I used " mget file_1 file2"
    >
    > Now at this point, I realized that only file_1 was being downloaded,
    > not file_1 and file_2 at the same time. Is there any way that I can do
    > that?
    > I tried some ftp software, such as "aceftp3 " or " Wsftp". They both
    > say that they support multi-downloading, but when I tried it, it seems
    > that they both download one file at a time.
    > I have both Internet Explore and Netscape. Because I heard that their
    > default ftp transfer mode is not binary, I am wondering if I can set
    > the downloading mode to be binary.
    > Thank you very much in advance, and have a good day.

    As far as I know, the simple command-line ftp supplied along with most
    Windows versions does not support downloading more than one file at
    once. But, if the FTP server allows multiple downloads from the same
    IP (which some don't), you should be able to open more than one ftp
    instances and get a different file using each one.

    Anyway, WS_FTP and most FTP clients allow multiple file downloads, as
    far as the server supports it as noticed before. And I'm quite sure
    that Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator (or Mozilla) transfer
    files in binary mode by default, and only use ASCII mode when they
    files with extensions related to text contents (like txt, html, etc.).

+ Reply to Thread