Re: Win 2000 PC slowdown -please help (would really appreciate it) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Win 2000 PC slowdown -please help (would really appreciate it) - Microsoft Windows ; I've found Norton Systemworks 2003 to be really useful when I have Windows problems. It has a program called WinDoctor that analyzes your Windows setup, offers solution(s), and fixes problems found. You can buy Norton SystemWorks 2003 on eBAY for ...

  1. Re: Win 2000 PC slowdown -please help (would really appreciate it)

    I've found Norton Systemworks 2003 to be really useful when I have Windows
    problems. It has a program called WinDoctor that analyzes your Windows setup,
    offers solution(s), and fixes problems found. You can buy Norton SystemWorks
    2003 on eBAY for about $8.00. Hth

    >Alex wrote:
    >Hi there everyone,
    >I would be very grateful for some of your collective know-how to help
    >me fix my PC which has recently become slow as a sloth for no
    >apparent, good reason.
    >My machine is an Athlon XP 2000, 256Mb RAM, 80Gb HD, GeForce 4 MX
    >graphics.
    >When I installed Windows, everything was running nicely - smooth and
    >fast. But recently it has slowed down to a crawl. I just don't know
    >what's left to do. I could reinstall everything but I *really* want to
    >find a better solution as it may just happen again.
    >I have tried the following:
    >- defragment
    >- check fragmentation of page file and MFT (seems ok)
    >- set page file size to 768Mb initial and max
    >- kill all non-essential processes
    >- take case cover off to release more heat
    >- checked BIOS setting (seem ok unless I missed something)
    >
    >Other symptoms and information:
    >
    >- lots of disk access for very simple things like opening start menu
    >(didn't do this before)
    >- 30Gb free disk space
    >- quite a lot of file and folders
    >- 100+ Mb physical memory available
    >- minimal CPU usage when idle
    >- skips when playing DVDs (fine before)
    >- skips on graphically intensive games (fine before and I don't hear
    >any disk activity)
    >- lots of video codecs installed
    >- no problems with memory test on system boot
    >- two large fans in the case
    >
    >Could it be anything to do with having used 50Gb of my hard disk?
    >Surely with enough memory, swap space and defragged drive this
    >shouldn't be a problem.
    >Thanks in advance,

  2. Re: Win 2000 PC slowdown -please help (would really appreciate it)

    On 23 Aug 2003 07:14:37 -0700, Alex wrote:

    > Ungoy wrote in message news:<1js0dcnry01td$.13izn8hd3w5b5.dlg@40tude.net>...
    >
    >> Might this be heat-related? That is, have you blown out the dustbunnies
    >> inside your case and (w/o opening) the powersupply? Sounds too simple but,
    >> your symptoms can match that.

    > Yeah, I tried running it with the side of the case off for a bit and
    > blew out all the dust - no change there. (And I assume that
    > performance would only start to suffer after the machine had time to
    > heat up).
    >
    >> Alright, on with the more prickly stuff.
    >>
    >> You're running win2k on
    >> an athlon xp with
    >> 256Mb RAM and
    >> 80Gb HDD with
    >> Geforce 4mx
    >>
    >> 1) Win2k patches know to have causes similar probs d/n apply in your case
    >> 2) You have run anti-virals: Negative results
    >> 3) You've run "a hardware" diagnostic which reports voltage fluctuations

    >> Power supply reviews I'm familiar with have posted real-time variances in
    >> any number of power supplies. I prefer Vantech or Enermax among others.
    >> Here's a sample "normal system load" analysis of models from those two
    >> companies:

    > My power supply appears to be a generic LC Technologies 300 ATX
    >
    >> Claimed Actual Actual*
    >> Voltage Enermax Vtech
    >> +3.3V 3.34 3.33
    >> +5V 5.03 5.05
    >> +12V 11.92 11.94
    >> -12V -11.70 -11.94
    >> -5V -5.24 -4.99
    >> If your system's power supplied measures much outside the variances given
    >> by Enermax and Vtech above, you can bet real money that this is the
    >> problem.

    > I installed the motherboard montitor which gave me the following
    > readings:
    >
    > Low High Average
    > +3.3V 3.22 3.23 3.23
    > +5V 4.80 4.85 4.85
    > +12V 12.85 12.98 12.86
    > -12V -12.20 -12.20 -12.20
    > -5V 0 0 0
    >
    > (My board is an Elite K7S5A)
    >
    > I'm not sure whether these are abnormal but they're certainly more out
    > than the figures you've given. I think it suggests that there is
    > something wrong with the supply. Could it be that the board has some
    > faulty resistors/capcitors - is there a way to look for superficial
    > damage of these without getting into circuit testing?
    >
    > I'm going to borrow another power supply and try switching. This ought
    > to either rule out the supply and point to the motherboard or indicate
    > that the supply is bad.
    >
    > Many thanks for your help Ungoy.

    Yea? Well a pox on your pet turtles for getting me hooked on the problem
    .

    Two things, Alex:

    1) yea, prob could be capacitor/resistor...and *maybe* the damage is
    viewable. This is not a sure-fire way to examine status of either.

    2) that "other" power supply should be a reputable one. Really. What's
    the point, otherwise?

    g'luck and, you know the rest.

    -Ungoy

  3. Re: Win 2000 PC slowdown -please help (would really appreciate it)

    Bah - instead of fixing the problem it just made the fans spin really
    fast and made things a bit unstable. I put the old supply back in. The
    next thing I'm going to try is using some different RAM. There's no
    indication of any problems there but I'm exhausting my avenues of
    investigation. Next thing after that- reinstall everything, last
    resort- send it away for repair

    Further symptoms:
    It's as if the processor is working in short, punctuated bursts. When
    scrolling a page in my browser, everything freezes for a fraction of a
    second then continues as normal. A similar things happens when playing
    a sound file (sometimes), the playback can be slightly broken up. The
    machine is usuable for anything that doesn't require smooth
    performance.

    If anyone can enlighten me further - I would be grateful, as ever.

    Thanks, Alex.

    > > I'm going to borrow another power supply and try switching. This ought
    > > to either rule out the supply and point to the motherboard or indicate
    > > that the supply is bad.
    > >
    > > Many thanks for your help Ungoy.

    > Yea? Well a pox on your pet turtles for getting me hooked on the problem
    > .
    >
    > Two things, Alex:
    >
    > 1) yea, prob could be capacitor/resistor...and *maybe* the damage is
    > viewable. This is not a sure-fire way to examine status of either.
    >
    > 2) that "other" power supply should be a reputable one. Really. What's
    > the point, otherwise?
    >
    > g'luck and, you know the rest.
    >
    > -Ungoy

+ Reply to Thread