Re: file name length limit? windows?? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: file name length limit? windows?? - Microsoft Windows ; Jared wrote: : Hey everyone....Here is my situation....the company I work for saves : all of their files onto a server with ridiculous filename lengths (the : server is Windows 2000 Server)....does anyone know if there is any : software ...

  1. Re: file name length limit? windows??

    Jared wrote:
    : Hey everyone....Here is my situation....the company I work for saves
    : all of their files onto a server with ridiculous filename lengths (the
    : server is Windows 2000 Server)....does anyone know if there is any
    : software to control the filename lenths or if I can simply control
    : them in Windows?? Any help would be great!

    AFAIK MS allows a total file and path name length of 255 chars. We had major
    troubles with checking out files from our change management system with
    _very_ long filenames which did not work. We moved on to solaris for this.
    We did'nt find any workaround for this problem at all :-(

    krgds
    anno.

    Murphy was an optimist.

  2. Re: file name length limit? windows??

    >From: anno_RemoveThisText_@opossum.rat.at
    >Date: 8/4/03 7:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >Jared wrote:
    >: Hey everyone....Here is my situation....the company I work for saves
    >: all of their files onto a server with ridiculous filename lengths (the
    >: server is Windows 2000 Server)....does anyone know if there is any
    >: software to control the filename lenths or if I can simply control
    >: them in Windows?? Any help would be great!
    >
    >AFAIK MS allows a total file and path name length of 255 chars. We had major
    >troubles with checking out files from our change management system with
    >_very_ long filenames which did not work. We moved on to solaris for this.
    >We did'nt find any workaround for this problem at all :-(
    >
    >krgds
    >anno.

    >Murphy was an optimist.

    255 was correct for Windows 98. Even at that... I think you have to lose a
    couple of those for some reason. Starting at NT or 2000, I was under the
    impression that the length was increased, though... what it increased to is
    still a bit of a mystery. I did some online searching for this info a few
    months ago and came up empty.

    Dan :-)

+ Reply to Thread