Re: uncle bills dollar - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: uncle bills dollar - Microsoft Windows ; "Donald Link" wrote in message: > Hey we all have our opinions about Microsoft some good, some bad but > there is a general feeling that they brought computing for > individuals into the economical and usability realms. They are ...

  1. Re: uncle bills dollar

    asr <> wrote:
    > point is, I bought and paid for my copy of xp. Not sure if there was a
    > disclaimer on the package, maybe I didnt see it saying that Bill
    > still has control over my use of it by turning it off when he feels I
    > am not following his rules. I don't register my software, and
    > shouldnt have to. Why the hell do I have to Keep reactivating my,
    > that's MY copy of XP.

    Then you did not read the EULA.

    Start -> RUN
    type in:

    winver

    Click OK.

    When "About Windows" comes up, click on "End-User License Agreement".

    Some parts that might interest you in this argument:

    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
    provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
    this EULA:

    * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
    display and run one copy of the Product on a single
    computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
    ("Workstation Computer").

    Notice it gives you the right to "Install and Use" -> No where does it say
    you OWN said product. You paid for the USE of said product.

    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
    provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
    this EULA:

    * Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this
    EULA are limited to the first thirty (30) days after
    you first install the Product unless you supply
    information required to activate your licensed copy in
    the manner described during the setup sequence of the
    Product. You can activate the Product through the use
    of the Internet or telephone; toll charges may apply.
    You may also need to reactivate the Product if you modify
    your computer hardware or alter the Product. There are
    technological measures in this Product that are designed
    to prevent unlicensed or illegal use of the Product.
    You agree that we may use those measures.

    This part pretty well covers the situation you were in when you first
    complained. You agreed to it. Whether you read it or not, that was your
    decision - but you did agree to it when you installed and/or activated the
    first time. Just like any legal document, your signature(clicking the I
    Agree button) is the part that makes that so.

    6. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft
    may cancel this EULA if you do not abide by the terms and
    conditions of this EULA, in which case you must destroy all
    copies of the Product and all of its component parts.

    Maybe I am reading this wrong, but pretty much this says to me that *if*
    Microsoft decides you are using the software in a way not allowed in this
    EULA, then they can cancel it and enforce your non-use of the product - for
    which you should destroy all copies, uninstall, etc.

    I'm not arguing for or against the EULA. Whether it is right or wrong, I
    will not say. I've done what I need to do to use Windows XP in the ways I
    want to. Period. The facts are that you agreed to what you read above and
    much more. You did this when you installed. You did this when you
    activated. If you don;t want to do this again, then erase and start over
    and don't agree or change enough hardware where the hardware change section
    applies and you have to reactivate, then just don't activate. The choice is
    yours.. Sure, unless you act against the EULA in some "hacker/cracker"
    way - you'll not be using Windows any longer, but you have then done
    something other than complain. Point in fact, even if you went the
    "hacker/cracker" way, you have done something other than complain.

    Do what you want to do, but if you are going to complain about something, at
    least know what you agreed to before you complain. In your original
    complaint, you were angry that you had to reactivate. You agreed to it by
    clicking on the "I Agree" text:

    You may also need to reactivate the Product if you modify
    your computer hardware or alter the Product. There are
    technological measures in this Product that are designed
    to prevent unlicensed or illegal use of the Product.
    You agree that we may use those measures.

    I am sorry if you did not know it, but I am pretty sure you had to click "I
    Agree" or some similar phrasing somewhere when activating/installing/etc...

    And your other point:

    "point is, I bought and paid for my copy of xp."

    No - you paid for the installtion and use rights. The software does not
    belong to you. Matter of fact, after reading the EULA, I am thinking it is
    more like a lease with a one-time payment. Weird. But there.

    Hell, the whole wording of the EULA is scary. No SANE individual would
    normally agree to that thing!
    But.. We did. We are all carzy - or we have found ways around it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    "Just trying to help"

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://tinyurl.com/fkja

    How do I go about posting an informative question?
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to use Google
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://tinyurl.com/fkmc
    -------------------------

  2. Re: uncle bills dollar

    Shenan T. Stanley wrote:

    [snip eula and huge, idiotic sig]

    LOL - you're a ****ing peanut.

    --
    There is no end to human stupidity.
    http://kadaitcha.kicks-ass.org:83

  3. Re: uncle bills dollar

    I apologize for the mispellings and messed up words on the previous message.

    I hope others can excuse the rapid-typing effect and take the message for
    its MEANING and not its mistakes. If anything does not make sense because
    of said mistakes, please notify me, and I will rectify the situation
    immediately.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    "Just trying to help"
    How to use XPs Help and Support
    http://tinyurl.com/fltf

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://tinyurl.com/fkja

    How do I go about posting an informative question?
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to use Google
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://tinyurl.com/fkmc
    -------------------------

  4. Re: uncle bills dollar

    Kadaitcha Man <> wrote:
    > Shenan T. Stanley wrote:
    >
    > [snip eula and huge, idiotic sig]
    >
    > LOL - you're a ****ing peanut.

    Hey! Look! I got Kadaitcha Man's attention too!
    Now this should get a bit more interesting.

    'Cuz no one is more knowledgable, friendly, outgoing and just so damn smooth
    in clown makeup!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    "Just trying to help"
    How to use XPs Help and Support
    http://tinyurl.com/fltf

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://tinyurl.com/fkja

    How do I go about posting an informative question?
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to use Google
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://tinyurl.com/fkmc
    -------------------------

  5. Re: uncle bills dollar

    LOL - you're an officious ****wit too.

    --
    There is no end to human stupidity.
    http://kadaitcha.kicks-ass.org:83

  6. Re: uncle bills dollar

    Shenan T. Stanley wrote:

    > 'Cuz no one is more knowledgable, friendly, outgoing and just so damn
    > smooth in clown makeup!

    Whatever turns you on.

    --
    There is no end to human stupidity.
    http://kadaitcha.kicks-ass.org:83

  7. Re: uncle bills dollar

    I wouldn't worry about a couple of spelling errors. Your message hit the
    nail right on the head.
    I've called Microsoft a lot worse things than asr did, and nearly
    regurgitated when I read the EULA
    after I had opened the package and began the install. Bill wouldn't dare
    print that on the outside of
    the package! I'm also very upset with OEM sales by other than equipment
    manufacturers. Bill insists
    that OEM's must furnish the first line of defense (support), and many
    resellers have no intention of
    providing anything at all. I doubt if retail buyers are much better off
    than I, after trying to negotiate
    the Microsoft site in the last couple of months. I'm sure they, as I did,
    found the best way to get help
    is from folks like you. Thanks for keeping your cool and still calling a
    spade a spade.

    Stan

    "Shenan T. Stanley" wrote in message
    > I apologize for the mispellings and messed up words on the previous

    message.

    > I hope others can excuse the rapid-typing effect and take the message for
    > its MEANING and not its mistakes. If anything does not make sense because
    > of said mistakes, please notify me, and I will rectify the situation
    > immediately.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > "Just trying to help"
    > -------------------------
    > How to use XPs Help and Support
    > http://tinyurl.com/fltf
    >
    > How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    > http://tinyurl.com/fkja
    >
    > How do I go about posting an informative question?
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > How to use Google
    > http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    > http://tinyurl.com/fkmc