Upgrading from 98 to 98SE - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Upgrading from 98 to 98SE - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, Runing an AMD Athlon 1.7GHz with 256Mb RAM and 40 gig HD. I'm running 98 at the moment, but need to change to 98SE. Will I lose everything on my hard drive? If not, will I have to ...

  1. Upgrading from 98 to 98SE

    Hi all,

    Runing an AMD Athlon 1.7GHz with 256Mb RAM and 40 gig HD. I'm running
    98 at the moment, but need to change to 98SE. Will I lose everything
    on my hard drive? If not, will I have to reinstall software e.g.
    drivers etc and MS Office? OR will it keep everything in the same
    directories as they are now?

    I'm going to back all my docs up on CD-RW anyway, but I need to know
    if I'm likely to have to get all the other software ready.

    Sorry if it's a total newb question

    Thanks

  2. Re: Upgrading from 98 to 98SE

    >From: james_hallinan@hotmail.com (James)
    >Date: 7/11/03 4:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Hi all,
    >
    >Runing an AMD Athlon 1.7GHz with 256Mb RAM and 40 gig HD. I'm running
    >98 at the moment, but need to change to 98SE. Will I lose everything
    >on my hard drive? If not, will I have to reinstall software e.g.
    >drivers etc and MS Office? OR will it keep everything in the same
    >directories as they are now?
    >
    >I'm going to back all my docs up on CD-RW anyway, but I need to know
    >if I'm likely to have to get all the other software ready.
    >
    >Sorry if it's a total newb question
    >
    >Thanks

    98SE comes in two flavors.... a totally new install and... upgraded. You're
    pretty much constrained to which 98SE disk you have. Using the upgrade
    "should" keep most everything you already have working and intact.

    However.... I highly recommend a clean install from the start. It's generally
    best to DUMP any garbage that your system may be caring with it if you can.

    Dan :-)

+ Reply to Thread