computer resets all the time - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on computer resets all the time - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, I have a strange problem (what a common beginning These are the facts: 1. I had a win2k installed, and at some point the computer began to reset itself, on it's own. Usually during the start-up, but sometimes it ...

  1. computer resets all the time

    Hello,
    I have a strange problem (what a common beginning
    These are the facts:
    1. I had a win2k installed, and at some point the computer began to
    reset itself, on it's own. Usually during the start-up, but sometimes
    it works for a few minutes, and then resets.
    2. I can boot from win-me setup to command prompt, do a scandisk - it
    works fine

    These are the things i've tried with no success:
    1. Changed memory sims
    2. Changed hd
    3. Changed video card
    4. Removed all the cards except video
    5. Detached power from CD/CDR/Floppy

    This leaves 3 possibilities:
    1. Power supply
    2. Mother board
    3. CPU

    I have yet tried to switch a power supply, but if it's one of the
    above - why am i able to work in dos mode?

    Thanks for your help,
    Sasha.

  2. Re: computer resets all the time

    >From: trash00000@hotmail.com (Sasha Neversay)
    >Date: 7/8/03 11:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Hello,
    >I have a strange problem (what a common beginning
    >These are the facts:
    >1. I had a win2k installed, and at some point the computer began to
    >reset itself, on it's own. Usually during the start-up, but sometimes
    >it works for a few minutes, and then resets.
    >2. I can boot from win-me setup to command prompt, do a scandisk - it
    >works fine
    >
    >These are the things i've tried with no success:
    >1. Changed memory sims
    >2. Changed hd
    >3. Changed video card
    >4. Removed all the cards except video
    >5. Detached power from CD/CDR/Floppy
    >
    >This leaves 3 possibilities:
    >1. Power supply
    >2. Mother board
    >3. CPU
    >
    >I have yet tried to switch a power supply, but if it's one of the
    >above - why am i able to work in dos mode?
    >
    >Thanks for your help,
    >Sasha.

    I vote one of the two following:

    Motherboard incompatibility with Win2k
    or
    Win2k Loaded in an unstable way ( try loading it "fresh" to a wiped clean HD ).

    Dan :-)

  3. Re: computer resets all the time

    Sorry, ruled out
    The computer worked fined with win2k for a year.
    The first thing i did after the problem began was re-installing a new
    win2k, and the resets kept following.

  4. Re: computer resets all the time

    >From: trash00000@hotmail.com (Sasha Neversay)
    >Date: 7/10/03 12:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Sorry, ruled out
    >The computer worked fined with win2k for a year.
    >The first thing i did after the problem began was re-installing a new
    >win2k, and the resets kept following.

    Have you changed "ANY" hardware or hardware settings at all in your system.
    Such things are common with hardware conflicts. Also, have you tried
    accessing your CMOS ( or whatever it is called nowadays ) data at startup and
    choosing the default settings for your system.

    How bout system memory. Have you added any, changed any or even just
    rearranged the memory modules? Are they all tightly plugged into their slots?

    Any chance you've overheated your CPU at any time?

    Dan :-)

  5. Re: computer resets all the time

    Hi,
    I dont think it is a problem with the motherboard ... If your pc
    restarts when you are working ... for no apparent reason .. the
    culprit may be your CPU Coolear(CPU fan) ... if the CPU over heats it
    tends to stop functioning and reboots the system... So if this is a
    regular issue ... then what you need is to check your CPU fan ... if
    your motherboard has inbuilt sensors .. then check it out ... but from
    your post i see that you have had the system for longer than a year
    .... so i guess your motherboard is also old and does not have this
    feature ... so what you can do is to open your cabinet and check if
    the CPU fan is showing any signs of a problem ... if so get it changed
    .... if you dont want to do this .. you can always use software CPU
    coolers like Waterfall or Rain ... but these tools cause a reduction
    inthe performance. Some times memory chips also tend to overheat and
    cause such problems .. but my guess is that your problem is with the
    CPU fan
    Hope this helps

    dantex1@aol.com (Dan Tex1) wrote in message news:<20030716222606.05067.00000067@mb-m26.aol.com>...
    > >From: trash00000@hotmail.com (Sasha Neversay)
    > >Date: 7/10/03 12:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >
    > >Sorry, ruled out
    > >The computer worked fined with win2k for a year.
    > >The first thing i did after the problem began was re-installing a new
    > >win2k, and the resets kept following.

    > Have you changed "ANY" hardware or hardware settings at all in your system.
    > Such things are common with hardware conflicts. Also, have you tried
    > accessing your CMOS ( or whatever it is called nowadays ) data at startup and
    > choosing the default settings for your system.
    >
    > How bout system memory. Have you added any, changed any or even just
    > rearranged the memory modules? Are they all tightly plugged into their slots?
    >
    > Any chance you've overheated your CPU at any time?
    >
    > Dan :-)

+ Reply to Thread