a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets - Microsoft Windows ; This may have been posted, but, I can't find the answer. When running a reverse proxy I understand that all URL requests go through the reverse proxy server. My question is. Do all the returning packets go through that server, ...

  1. a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets

    This may have been posted, but, I can't find the answer.

    When running a reverse proxy I understand that all
    URL requests go through the reverse proxy server.

    My question is. Do all the returning packets go
    through that server, or, are they passed directly
    to the client?

    I am interested in the question of "traffic load" on
    the reverse proxy server.

    Thanks,

    Dr. Priest

    W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
    Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT
    Center for Information, Technology & Society
    466 Pleasant St., Melrose, MA 02176
    781-662-4044 BMSLIB@MIT.EDU http://Cybertrails.org

  2. Re: a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets

    They go through the Proxy.

    When you use a Proxy service, the packets are repackaged by the Proxy server
    such that they appear to emanate from the server. This way the Proxy server can
    be a fully registered address and the nodes using it do not have to be
    registered. When the packets are returned, they go to the source IP which is
    the Proxy server. The server then repackages the packets and sends them to the
    originator.

    Dave

  3. Re: a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message news:<414Ka.4046$QN3.3744@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
    > They go through the Proxy.

    So, when, say, I set a local university proxy server
    in my browser, so I can access restricted sites elsewhere
    for library information,

    and,

    if I don't change it back to "no proxy" ... all my browser traffic
    goes through that university's server?

    If hundreds did that, wouldn't that be a bit of a strain
    on that server?

    Regards,

    Curtiss

  4. Re: a question about reverse proxy server traffic and returning packets

    bmslib@mit.edu (W. Curtiss Priest) wrote in message news:<7643eddd.0306250819.5fa3139d@posting.google.com>...
    > "David H. Lipman" wrote in message news:<414Ka.4046$QN3.3744@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...

    [snip]
    > If hundreds did that, wouldn't that be a bit of a strain
    > on that server?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Curtiss

    To which Lipman replied via e-mail:

    immediately) Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:32:00 -0400 From: "David H.
    Lipman" To: "W. Curtiss Priest"

    Curtiss: There are over 8,000 nodes on the LAN
    I am on at this moment. They all "should" go through our Proxy server.
    Extremely few workstations are Registered, the ones that aren't would
    NOT get to sites using Reverse DNS unless they go through the Proxy.
    The Proxy service "should" be load balanced. We do it so the number of
    nodes in not a strain on the service. { I can't post to USENET from my
    'work' so I'm am replying to you direct and won't reply via USENET.}

+ Reply to Thread