difference - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on difference - Microsoft Windows ; hai, i have just started studying mcse now kindly say me the differnce between win 98, win 2000 pro, winXP, win Vista, win NT, Win 2000 server, win 2003 server....

  1. difference

    hai,
    i have just started studying mcse now kindly say me the differnce
    between win 98, win 2000 pro, winXP, win Vista, win NT, Win 2000
    server, win 2003 server.

  2. Re: difference

    parsar wrote:
    > hai,
    > i have just started studying mcse now kindly say me the differnce
    > between win 98, win 2000 pro, winXP, win Vista, win NT, Win 2000
    > server, win 2003 server.

    Sorry but that is one of the stupidest questions anyone has ever asked
    here. There are hundreds of differences. If you want to know about a
    particular one then please ask and I'm sure plenty of people will be
    happy to reply, but to ask a general question covering hundreds, even
    thousands of things as you have done will get you no replies other than
    replies of this sort.

  3. Re: difference

    parsar wrote:
    > hai,
    > i have just started studying mcse now kindly say me the differnce
    > between win 98, win 2000 pro, winXP, win Vista, win NT, Win 2000
    > server, win 2003 server.

    Version Crashes all the time Ugliness Evil DRM DOS support
    1.0 Yep; unusable Severe No Yes
    2.0 Yep; unusable Bad No Yes
    3.0 Yep Bad No Yes
    3.1 Yep Bad No Yes
    3.11 Yep Bad No Yes
    95 Fairly often Mild No Yes
    98 Fairly often Mild No Yes
    NT Not too often Mild No Not very good
    ME Yep Mild No Yes
    2K Not too often Mild No Not very good
    XP Infrequently crashes Severe* Just WPA Not very good
    2K3 Infrequent Mild WPA Not very good
    Vista Terrible! Awful! Horrible! Miserable!

    * Display properties, themes, "classic theme" and it looks tolerable,
    resembling Windows 95.

    Version P2P sabotage Gaming Productivity Server-side
    1.0 P2P tools crash Games crash Word crashes What net?
    2.0 P2P tools crash Games crash Word crashes What net?
    3.0 None Ancient Slow; ancient Ancient
    3.1 None Ancient Slow; ancient Ancient
    3.11 None Ancient Slow; ancient Crufty LANs
    95 None Older games Serviceable Get hacked!
    98 None Older games Serviceable Get hacked!
    NT What? At work?! What? At work? Serviceable Insecure
    ME P2P tools crash Games crash Word crashes Get hacked!
    2K What? At work?! What? At work? Serviceable Insecure
    XP Conn limit* Yes!** Usable Insecure
    2K3 What? At work?! What? At work? Usable Insecure
    Vista Terrible! Awful!*** Horrible! Miserable!

    * XP with service pack 2 has an easy-to patch (see
    http://www.lvllord.de) limit on half-open connections *ostensibly* put
    there to slow the spread of MyDoom. It cripples p2p apps, and little else.

    ** Every PC game except old DOS games and Halo 3, if you have the
    hardware beef for it. For old DOS games, see "DOS support" in the first
    chart.

    *** In theory, you can play all the games XP will run, and Halo 3. In
    practise, you'll have to cope with incompatibilities, crashes, bugs, and
    evil DRM, plus the generally slow and wonky nature of Vista, much of
    which is a consequence of the evil DRM. You'll need twice the hardware
    capacity to run, say, Quake IV at a decent framerate with Vista as with XP.

    Upshot: if you don't want to play old DOS games you probably want XP
    SP2, with the lvllord patch applied if you plan to use p2p and probably
    if you plan to use online gaming. If you need it primarily for
    productivity apps XP SP2 is stable and has decently recent versions of
    the apps, and you can even use OpenOffice which will probably end up
    able to convert documents produced by Office 2K7 on Vista fairly soon.
    Nothing in the EULA prohibits virtualization either, unlike Vista.
    Earlier versions and Vista will both perform worse and crash a lot.

    If you want to run a server, 2K3 with up to date security is the best
    Windows choice, but you really don't want to run any kind of Windows if
    you are building a server; use a unix of some sort instead.

    If you want to play Halo 3, you're stuck with Vista as the only choice,
    or waiting until someone creates a third-party DX10 emulation layer for
    XP users, which will probably happen fairly soon.

    If you want to play old DOS games get someone's junker of a 386, replace
    the PSU and anything else that failed or needs work, and install an old
    version of DOS on it, and still use XP on your main machine.

    I'm assuming that you've decided against using ubuntu or similar on your
    main machine, though I really don't advise running a server machine with
    any Microsoft software on it at all. A home machine with non-server
    uses, with XP, given decent firewalling and regular AV checkups will be
    relatively safe and presumably the stakes are lower then anyway.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  4. Re: difference

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Phil Cartwright wrote:

> [...]

    > If you want to play Halo 3, you're stuck with Vista as the only choice, or
    > waiting until someone creates a third-party DX10 emulation layer for XP
    > users, which will probably happen fairly soon.
    >
    > If you want to play old DOS games get someone's junker of a 386, replace the
    > PSU and anything else that failed or needs work, and install an old version
    > of DOS on it, and still use XP on your main machine.
    >
    > I'm assuming that you've decided against using ubuntu or similar on your main
    > machine, though I really don't advise running a server machine with any
    > Microsoft software on it at all. A home machine with non-server uses, with
    > XP, given decent firewalling and regular AV checkups will be relatively safe
    > and presumably the stakes are lower then anyway.
    >
    > --
    > There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and

    I fully agree with you on PC's and anything put out by MicroSoft.
    I prefer the old days of 8 bit computers where the entire OS
    is burned into a ROM chip. No anti virus to buy and renew every
    six months, no crashes ever unless you turned off the power,
    no validations of software required. You bought it once and used
    it forever games or whatever turns you on. I often wonder why
    GATES never followed that path useing a burnable latching type
    ROM ship so that each time he upgraded his windows, you dont run
    out an have to buy and validate the new software, just order the
    new updated software by ordering a new ROM chip, dropping it in
    place and flip the latches. Oh did I mention I have a lenovo
    laptop that has xp/pro in it and plays excellent music while
    I run thru a few fames of SOLITAIRE. For the internet my
    Commodore 128 with upgraded ram chips and OS in ROM serves
    me just fine. I look in the SPAM file first an open all the
    attached files that say "infected"!!!!!
    Kokomo Joe

+ Reply to Thread