XP: Installation Snapshot to avoid re-installing procedure? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP: Installation Snapshot to avoid re-installing procedure? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, I have installed a lot of stuff on a fresh XP Pro and lots of configs and settings (in programs and windows) - a complete and complex working environment - and now wish to make a snapshot/ image ...

  1. XP: Installation Snapshot to avoid re-installing procedure?

    Hi all,

    I have installed a lot of stuff on a fresh XP Pro and lots of configs
    and settings (in programs and windows) - a complete and complex
    working environment - and now wish to make a snapshot/ image in the
    following way to have a simple fallback:

    That again at any time in the future on any fresh XP Pro on any (!) PC
    I could create an installation identically to mine now, with "a single
    click", without re-installing the stuff, and start work immediately,
    at the same point as now. With all the millions settings of the
    programs, and windows. (appearance etc.) But *without*
    hardware-related settings, since it should work on *any* PC.

    Is that possible? How?? I'm sure there is shareware and hopefully
    freeware for that, but which, and where??

    If not, what would be possible next to that vision??

    Thank you very much for any advice!!

    Daniel

  2. Re: XP: Installation Snapshot to avoid re-installing procedure?

    Daniel Loose wrote:
    > I have installed a lot of stuff on a fresh XP Pro and lots of configs
    > and settings (in programs and windows) - a complete and complex
    > working environment - and now wish to make a snapshot/ image in the
    > following way to have a simple fallback:

    I stick a linux disk in, and tar backup the drive to a network file.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/howto/xpbackup.html

    I don't know how good xp is at moving from computer to computer though, so I
    don't know how you would get on restoring to a computer with a different
    motherboard. I know that on earlier versions of Windows, if I had a
    motherboard failure and replaced the motherboard, the installation became
    screwed and I had to reinstall everything.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Installation Snapshot to avoid re-installing procedure?

    Daniel Loose wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have installed a lot of stuff on a fresh XP Pro and lots of configs
    > and settings (in programs and windows) - a complete and complex
    > working environment - and now wish to make a snapshot/ image in the
    > following way to have a simple fallback:
    >
    > That again at any time in the future on any fresh XP Pro on any (!) PC
    > I could create an installation identically to mine now, with "a single
    > click", without re-installing the stuff, and start work immediately,
    > at the same point as now.

    You can make a disk image of course (therer are lots of programmes for
    that) but it most certainly won't work as you wish on another PC, for
    the hardware will be com^pletely different and require other drivers.

+ Reply to Thread