Vista anonymous smb difficulties - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Vista anonymous smb difficulties - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing. However, I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added Anonymous to the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS LOGON"), and made sure ...

  1. Vista anonymous smb difficulties

    Hi all,

    I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing.
    However, I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added
    Anonymous to the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS
    LOGON"), and made sure it was inherited by everything. I can now logon
    to the share both anonymously and as a user from a Gentoo machine
    ("smbclient //Server/Share" with no password for anonymous), but from XP
    and Vista I can only log on with a username, not anonymously. I'm trying
    to log in through explorer, either by typing "\\Server\Share" or by
    going through "Map Network Drive". Either way it pops up with a box
    asking for a username and password. It won't accept an empty username,
    and it doesn't accept "anonymous". I suspect if I enable the guest
    account I could use that, but that seems redundant and overly complex if
    anonymous logins should work. Any ideas?

    N.B. "Restrict anonymous login to named pipes and shares" is disabled in
    SecPol.

    Cheers,
    Carl

  2. Re: Vista anonymous smb difficulties

    Carl Lewis wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing.
    > However, I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added
    > Anonymous to the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS
    > LOGON"), and made sure it was inherited by everything. I can now logon
    > to the share both anonymously and as a user from a Gentoo machine
    > ("smbclient //Server/Share" with no password for anonymous), but from XP
    > and Vista I can only log on with a username, not anonymously. I'm trying
    > to log in through explorer, either by typing "\\Server\Share" or by
    > going through "Map Network Drive". Either way it pops up with a box
    > asking for a username and password. It won't accept an empty username,
    > and it doesn't accept "anonymous". I suspect if I enable the guest
    > account I could use that, but that seems redundant and overly complex if
    > anonymous logins should work. Any ideas?
    >
    > N.B. "Restrict anonymous login to named pipes and shares" is disabled in
    > SecPol.

    I thought anonymous CIFS file sharing in Windows was disabled ages ago,
    like in a Win 2K service pack.

    --
    Mike McManus
    Renton, WA

  3. Re: Vista anonymous smb difficulties

    "Carl Lewis" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing. However,
    > I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added Anonymous to
    > the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS LOGON"), and made
    > sure it was inherited by everything. I can now logon to the share both
    > anonymously and as a user from a Gentoo machine ("smbclient
    > //Server/Share" with no password for anonymous), but from XP and Vista I
    > can only log on with a username, not anonymously. I'm trying to log in
    > through explorer, either by typing "\\Server\Share" or by going through
    > "Map Network Drive". Either way it pops up with a box asking for a
    > username and password. It won't accept an empty username, and it doesn't
    > accept "anonymous". I suspect if I enable the guest account I could use
    > that, but that seems redundant and overly complex if anonymous logins
    > should work. Any ideas?
    >
    > N.B. "Restrict anonymous login to named pipes and shares" is disabled in
    > SecPol.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Carl

    Make sure the guest account is disabled. I don't use Vista but in XP turning
    off the guest account stops the login window from popping up when you access
    the share

    Stu Winokur

  4. Re: Vista anonymous smb difficulties

    Mike McManus wrote:
    > Carl Lewis wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing.
    >> However, I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added
    >> Anonymous to the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS
    >> LOGON"), and made sure it was inherited by everything. I can now logon
    >> to the share both anonymously and as a user from a Gentoo machine
    >> ("smbclient //Server/Share" with no password for anonymous), but from
    >> XP and Vista I can only log on with a username, not anonymously. I'm
    >> trying to log in through explorer, either by typing "\\Server\Share"
    >> or by going through "Map Network Drive". Either way it pops up with a
    >> box asking for a username and password. It won't accept an empty
    >> username, and it doesn't accept "anonymous". I suspect if I enable the
    >> guest account I could use that, but that seems redundant and overly
    >> complex if anonymous logins should work. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> N.B. "Restrict anonymous login to named pipes and shares" is disabled
    >> in SecPol.

    > I thought anonymous CIFS file sharing in Windows was disabled ages ago,
    > like in a Win 2K service pack.

    It is not enabled by default (once you've enabled password-protected
    sharing), but if you add Anonymous to the share permissions and security
    tab, it certainly allows anonymous access from Linux, so why not from
    Windows too? Plus, the default sharing (not password-protected) is
    anonymous sharing. I suspect your service pack just changed the default
    settings in Win 2k to disable anonymous access.

  5. Re: Vista anonymous smb difficulties

    Stuart J. Winokur wrote:
    > "Carl Lewis" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got a Vista machine set to password-protected file sharing. However,
    >> I want some shares to be accessible anonymously, too. I added Anonymous to
    >> the security tab of the share (comes up as "ANONYMOUS LOGON"), and made
    >> sure it was inherited by everything. I can now logon to the share both
    >> anonymously and as a user from a Gentoo machine ("smbclient
    >> //Server/Share" with no password for anonymous), but from XP and Vista I
    >> can only log on with a username, not anonymously. I'm trying to log in
    >> through explorer, either by typing "\\Server\Share" or by going through
    >> "Map Network Drive". Either way it pops up with a box asking for a
    >> username and password. It won't accept an empty username, and it doesn't
    >> accept "anonymous". I suspect if I enable the guest account I could use
    >> that, but that seems redundant and overly complex if anonymous logins
    >> should work. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> N.B. "Restrict anonymous login to named pipes and shares" is disabled in
    >> SecPol.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Carl

    > Make sure the guest account is disabled. I don't use Vista but in XP turning
    > off the guest account stops the login window from popping up when you access
    > the share
    >
    > Stu Winokur

    Thanks for the idea, but the Guest account is already disabled. Plus, I
    expect the login window to popup, since password access is enabled. But
    it should still be possible to access anonymously too.

+ Reply to Thread