chown-like util - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on chown-like util - Microsoft Windows ; After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir. Is there some command-line util that I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: chown-like util

  1. chown-like util

    After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    Is there some command-line util that I can take ownership back on the
    dir? For example, on Unix there is a command called chown that allows
    the admin to reset the owner for a directory and all its contents to
    another user with one command.

    I found a website that has a port of chown for win32 but the server is
    down. I also found a program called servant salamander that allows
    you to take ownership but one file at a time.

    Does anyone know where I can get chown for win32 ( I have the source,
    but no windows compiler).

    /* CubanGeek */


  2. Re: chown-like util

    cubangeek wrote:
    > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.


    I can't se why you're having a problem. the folders are there (in
    theory) and if you have administrator rights, which I expect you do,
    there should be no problem in copying them. I've neevr had the slightest
    difficulty in such cases. The only problem I can imagine is if the old
    User(s) was/were password protected.



  3. Re: chown-like util

    On Sep 6, 12:42 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > cubangeek wrote:
    > > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >
    > I can't se why you're having a problem. the folders are there (in
    > theory) and if you have administrator rights, which I expect you do,
    > there should be no problem in copying them. I've neevr had the slightest
    > difficulty in such cases. The only problem I can imagine is if the old
    > User(s) was/were password protected.


    The old user was password protected and the error is access denied.
    If I use Servant Salamander to "take ownership" then I can begin to
    see the contents of the folder. The problem with Salamander is that I
    have to answer the dialog box Yes or Cancel for every object in the
    folder, and my client has over 1000 directories and over 10,000 files
    in "My Documents."



  4. Re: chown-like util

    cubangeek wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 12:42 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    >> cubangeek wrote:
    >>> After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can
    >>> not get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user
    >>> directory to copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >>
    >> I can't se why you're having a problem. the folders are there (in
    >> theory) and if you have administrator rights, which I expect you do,
    >> there should be no problem in copying them. I've neevr had the
    >> slightest difficulty in such cases. The only problem I can imagine
    >> is if the old User(s) was/were password protected.

    >
    > The old user was password protected and the error is access denied.
    > If I use Servant Salamander to "take ownership" then I can begin to
    > see the contents of the folder. The problem with Salamander is that I
    > have to answer the dialog box Yes or Cancel for every object in the
    > folder, and my client has over 1000 directories and over 10,000 files
    > in "My Documents."


    While it's not my thing, why not boot off a Linux CD, I'm sure that
    would allow you to copy the relevant folders.



  5. Re: chown-like util

    cubangeek wrote:

    > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.



    Right-click on the folder, select properties, select the security tab,
    click the "Advanced" button. Select the Owner tab. Select a user to
    assign ownership to and tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and
    objects" box and select OK. After that, give yourself permission to the
    directory, including subdirectories and files.

    --
    Olof Lagerkvist
    ICQ: 724451
    Web: http://here.is/olof

  6. Re: chown-like util

    On Sep 6, 4:19 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
    > cubangeek wrote:
    > > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >
    > Right-click on the folder, select properties, select the security tab,


    That is part of the problem . . . there is no security tab in the
    folder's properties . . .only general, sharing, customize--and I am
    logged in as admin.


  7. Re: chown-like util

    On Sep 6, 2:28 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > cubangeek wrote:
    > > On Sep 6, 12:42 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > >> cubangeek wrote:
    > >>> After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can
    > >>> not get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user
    > >>> directory to copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.


    > While it's not my thing, why not boot off a Linux CD, I'm sure that
    > would allow you to copy the relevant folders.


    It looks like I may have to go that way. The problem is that I do not
    believe the Linux live CD versions allow you to mount NTFS by
    default. I already one of my favorite things Paragon NTFS Recovery.
    But Paragon will not mount the NTFS volumes in a SATA disk.
    Arrrgghhh!!!

    Maybe I will just manually take out the drive and stick in one of my
    linux boxes and solve it that way. It just seems that there should be
    an easier way via GUI or command-line.



  8. Re: chown-like util

    On 2007-09-06, cubangeek wrote:

    > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.
    >
    > Is there some command-line util that I can take ownership back on the
    > dir? For example, on Unix there is a command called chown that allows
    > the admin to reset the owner for a directory and all its contents to
    > another user with one command.
    >
    > I found a website that has a port of chown for win32 but the server is
    > down. I also found a program called servant salamander that allows
    > you to take ownership but one file at a time.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can get chown for win32 ( I have the source,
    > but no windows compiler).


    Install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) and you'll have a pretty complete
    Unix-like environment (including chown and many other handy things) for
    Windows.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  9. Re: chown-like util

    On 2007-09-06, cubangeek wrote:

    > It looks like I may have to go that way. The problem is that I do not
    > believe the Linux live CD versions allow you to mount NTFS by
    > default. I already one of my favorite things Paragon NTFS Recovery.
    > But Paragon will not mount the NTFS volumes in a SATA disk.
    > Arrrgghhh!!!


    System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/) supports read/write
    operations on NTFS filesystems.


    > Maybe I will just manually take out the drive and stick in one of my
    > linux boxes and solve it that way. It just seems that there should be
    > an easier way via GUI or command-line.


    I still think Cygwin is a better solution for your purposes.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  10. Re: chown-like util

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:54:21 -0000, cubangeek
    wrote:

    >On Sep 6, 4:19 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
    >> cubangeek wrote:
    >> > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    >> > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    >> > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >>
    >> Right-click on the folder, select properties, select the security tab,

    >
    >That is part of the problem . . . there is no security tab in the
    >folder's properties . . .only general, sharing, customize--and I am
    >logged in as admin.


    Did you disable simple file-sharing? IIRC, when it's enabled, you
    don't get the security tab.

    Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> ->
    uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing". You may need to log-off and back
    on.



  11. Re: chown-like util

    On Sep 6, 5:25 pm, John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-09-06, cubangeek wrote:
    >
    > > After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can not
    > > get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user directory to
    > > copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >
    > > Is there some command-line util that I can take ownership back on the
    > > dir? For example, on Unix there is a command called chown that allows
    > > the admin to reset the owner for a directory and all its contents to
    > > another user with one command.


    > Install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) and you'll have a pretty complete
    > Unix-like environment (including chown and many other handy things) for
    > Windows.


    I just got it. Thanks for the info.


  12. Re: chown-like util

    cubangeek wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 2:28 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    >> cubangeek wrote:
    >>> On Sep 6, 12:42 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    >>>> cubangeek wrote:
    >>>>> After recovering from a system crash I reinstalled xp pro. I can
    >>>>> not get into the old c:\documents and settings\owner user
    >>>>> directory to copy the old files back to my "new" owner dir.

    >
    >> While it's not my thing, why not boot off a Linux CD, I'm sure that
    >> would allow you to copy the relevant folders.

    >
    > It looks like I may have to go that way. The problem is that I do not
    > believe the Linux live CD versions allow you to mount NTFS by
    > default. I already one of my favorite things Paragon NTFS Recovery.
    > But Paragon will not mount the NTFS volumes in a SATA disk.
    > Arrrgghhh!!!
    >
    > Maybe I will just manually take out the drive and stick in one of my
    > linux boxes and solve it that way. It just seems that there should be
    > an easier way via GUI or command-line.
    >


    Most modern Linux Live CDs do have NTFS support built in. DSL (Damn
    Small Linux), for instance, is a very small image which does. Since you
    have a SATA drive, however, which I don't believe DSL supports, you'll
    need a different distribution. DSL-N or Gentoo Live CDs both have SATA
    support (as well as NTFS), I believe.

    Carl

+ Reply to Thread