Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC? - Microsoft Windows ; We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming on board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but this girl indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC. Anyone know a screaming ...

  1. Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming on
    board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but this girl
    indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC.

    Anyone know a screaming fast PC that would be good for graphics work?

    The mac we'd have to buy was $2500, so I have that much to work with.

    I found this one, but its a bit racy for business, and I dont need
    large hard drives, as everything gets stored on the server.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=C122-3968

    thanks!

  2. Re: Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    On Sep 5, 6:59 am, Richard Herb wrote:
    > We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming on
    > board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but this girl
    > indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC.

    The mac should be able to exist nicely on the windows lan using
    Samba. You don't say what the graphics person will be running. But
    for example, PhotoShop on the Mac is much superior to the PC version.
    So you might just be better off with the Mac.

    /* CubanGeek */

  3. Re: Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    cubangeek wrote:
    > On Sep 5, 6:59 am, Richard Herb wrote:
    >> We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming on
    >> board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but this girl
    >> indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC.

    > The mac should be able to exist nicely on the windows lan using
    > Samba. You don't say what the graphics person will be running. But
    > for example, PhotoShop on the Mac is much superior to the PC version.

    In what way?

  4. Re: Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    On Sep 6, 12:43 pm, "John of Aix" wrote:
    > cubangeek wrote:
    > > On Sep 5, 6:59 am, Richard Herb wrote:
    > >> We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming on
    > >> board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but this girl
    > >> indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC.

    > > The mac should be able to exist nicely on the windows lan using
    > > Samba. You don't say what the graphics person will be running. But
    > > for example, PhotoShop on the Mac is much superior to the PC version.

    > In what way?

    There are some options that are non-existent in the PC version. There
    is also much greater control over palettes, vectors, etc. than in the
    PC version. Now, don't get me wrong, in no way is this a "put down"
    for windows. But certain tools are better on certain platforms. We
    use Windows, Mac, Solaris, or Linux, depending on the job at hand.
    For example I prefer editing video on the PC with Adobe Premier than
    Final Cut Pro on the Mac.

  5. Re: Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    > GUEST wrote:
    > We are a pure Microsoft LAN. We have a new graphics person coming

    on
    > board. Normally, they always say " I want mac only" but

    this girl
    > indicated she was flexible, and might accept a PC.
    >
    > Anyone know a screaming fast PC that would be good for graphics

    work?

    > The mac we'd have to buy was $2500, so I have that much to work

    with.

    > I found this one, but its a bit racy for business, and I dont need
    > large hard drives, as everything gets stored on the server.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=C122-3968

    > thanks!

    It depends on what program will be used, and for
    what the computer will be used. It is said graphics but it also has
    some submenus.

    So, Yes. (but it depends)

  6. Re: Anyone know a good "mac killer" desktop PC?

    Uh, well

    I can't get a mac becuase I would have to maintain it, and I dont know
    anything about them.

    The person will be running the whole adobe suite, cs3 version, IE7,
    and Windows Media Player

    office 2007, real alternative, quicktime alternative, Microsoft
    Expression web designer, and Silverlight development.

    Active Directory, and a desktop so locked down, they cannot install
    ANYTHING without permission from me.
    If theres a business justification, no problem, I'll install it.

    thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread