Bitwise copy of floppy disk - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Bitwise copy of floppy disk - Microsoft Windows ; I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly what the format is. It's created on a drum machine. I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the drum machine is extremely slow ...

  1. Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.

    I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    my computer.

    How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.

    Does anyone know how I could do that?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    "Arthur Rhodes" wrote in message
    > I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    > what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.
    >
    > I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    > drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    > my computer.
    >
    > How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    > format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    > bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe a utility such as WinImage would do the trick

  3. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    Arthur Rhodes writes:

    > I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    > what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.
    >
    > I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    > drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    > my computer.
    >
    > How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    > format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    > bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could do that?

    The unix command dd does what you describe.

    You can find any number of bootable Linux CD's that you can boot into
    and that won't touch your environment otherwise. This one is nice and
    light: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page You'll download an .iso
    image of the bootable CD and use your favorite CD burning program (EZ
    CD Creator, Nero, a Windows ISO burning plugin) to take that iso (a
    recorded CD image) and make it into a burned Cd. Don't make the
    mistake of trying to take the ISO file itself and stick it on a
    regular CD-R as a file.

    Once you have that CD, boot to it, and from there, I'd try this:

    dd bs=1 count=1474560 if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/floppy.img

    Swap a fresh disk into the drive and then:

    dd bs=1 count=1474560 if=/tmp/floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

    You may have to massage the count to match the disk size. With a
    block size of 1, you're taking raw blocks of the floopy drive 0 and
    stickin them in a temp file, and the next command just does the
    opposite.

    If you're a linux newbie, you can find all the details on the dd
    command using the man command (man is for "manual"):

    man dd

    Another tack you can try using that same bootable cd is to try the
    partimage program (a Ghost clone). I've never played with it with
    floppies though.

    Let us know how it turns out. It sounds like a fun little experiment.

    Best regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    Start\Run a:\copy and follow prompts

    --
    Peter

    "Arthur Rhodes" wrote in message news:XIqdnUQiY5KLrUbbnZ2dnUVZ_s-pnZ2d@comcast.com...
    >I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    > what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.
    >
    > I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    > drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    > my computer.
    >
    > How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    > format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    > bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could do that?
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    "Peter Foldes" writes:

    > Start\Run a:\copy and follow prompts

    This doesn't work...but it did trigger an alternate solution to my
    unix dd-based solution that might be one hell of a lot easier. Boy
    it's been years since I've copied a floppy.

    Look into the DOS diskcopy command.

    c:\> diskcopy a: a:

    It will prompt you to swap disks as appropriate. If the help for
    diskcopy is to be believed, it makes a sector by sector copy of the
    disk, and should work on any format.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    Diskcopy
    Copies the contents of the floppy disk in the source drive to a
    formatted or unformatted floppy disk in the destination drive. Used
    without parameters, diskcopy uses the current drive for the source
    disk and the destination disk.

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:50:13 -0600, Arthur Rhodes
    wrote:

    >I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    >what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.
    >
    >I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    >drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    >my computer.
    >
    >How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    >format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    >bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.
    >
    >Does anyone know how I could do that?
    >
    >Thanks

  7. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    Arthur Rhodes writes:

    >I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    >what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.

    >I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy.

    >How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    >format is unknown and probably not supported.

    >Does anyone know how I could do that?

    Just try ANADISK and/or TELEDISK. They work best under pure DOS.
    And/or ask in comp.os.cpm; especially for download-sites.

    Good luck, Holger

  8. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    There are an endless variety of ways to make it difficult to make copies of
    floppies. Specialized software can change the number of sectors per track
    or write its own stuff in the intersector gap, or whatever. The popular
    computer magazines used to have ads for software and machines that could
    'copy any format'. If you don't get an error when you view a directory of
    the floppy in Windows, I would give WinImage a try. I assume you have
    googled for the drum machine's name and the words copy floppy.

    -Paul Randall

    "Arthur Rhodes" wrote in message
    >I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't know exactly
    > what the format is. It's created on a drum machine.
    >
    > I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies with the
    > drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I want to do it with
    > my computer.
    >
    > How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since its
    > format is unknown and probably not supported. All I need to do is make a
    > bit for bit copy of the floppy to another floppy.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could do that?
    >
    > Thanks

  9. Re: Bitwise copy of floppy disk

    Arthur Rhodes wrote in

    > I have a floppy disk with a proprietary format. I don't
    > know exactly what the format is. It's created on a drum
    > machine.
    >
    > I'd like to make duplicates of this floppy. Making copies
    > with the drum machine is extremely slow and tedious, so I
    > want to do it with my computer.
    >
    > How could I do that? Windows can't read the floppy since
    > its format is unknown and probably not supported. All I
    > need to do is make a bit for bit copy of the floppy to
    > another floppy.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    That floppy may be a

    1) weird capacity which no other floppy drive will read (like
    480KB or something)

    2) formatted using a different FAT system, FAT 12 if you're
    lucky, something not of this earth if you're less lucky.

    3) Just too old to work period (although I have had FEW floppy
    failures).

    IOW, I am practically certain this disk can not be read by any
    normal floppy drive. But:

    The manufacturer is probably gone but they MAY have been bought
    by another music company. See if you can find out. If you find
    someone kind enough to help you there that is one possibility -
    they may have an old machine sitting around.

    Look on eBay (or in your local 2nd hand rag) for the same drum
    machine - it may be $5 and working.

    As a last, expensive resort, look up "data recovery" - there are
    companies that specialize in this, but they CHARGE. And even
    they usually recover data from messed up hard drives, but they
    SHOULD be able to get at anything.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

+ Reply to Thread