Slower Windows 98SE - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Slower Windows 98SE - Microsoft Windows ; Hi everybody! I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because it has all functionality I need. I do not know why, because they were running fine. No other ...

  1. Slower Windows 98SE

    Hi everybody!

    I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems have been
    getting slower. I am still using Win98 because it has all
    functionality I need. I do not know why, because they were running
    fine. No other software has been added after last updates from
    Microsoft site. I am taking about 8 computers in different places,
    included mine at home. Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10
    seconds to start. Has anybody noted this?

    Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Marco.

  2. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote in
    news:1188063241.145462.89190@r23g2000prd.googlegro ups.com:

    > Hi everybody!
    >
    > I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems
    > have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because it
    > has all functionality I need. I do not know why, because
    > they were running fine. No other software has been added
    > after last updates from Microsoft site. I am taking about 8
    > computers in different places, included mine at home.
    > Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10 seconds to start.
    > Has anybody noted this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments.
    >
    > Marco.

    1.
    Anyone who uses IE/OE (hog, bloat, crap, badly designed, slow as
    hell, VERY open to online dangers) is insane. Use Opera,
    OffByOne, nPoP (or ANY of the dozens of other good e-mail
    programs), XNews, GrabIt. So get rid of as much of it as you can
    and never use it and make sure it's not in startup. You CAN get
    rid of it entirely and all your machines will thank you for it.
    Check out www.litepc.com.

    2.
    98 doesn't really need any updates, especially if you don't use
    the above mentioned piece of crap. 99.5% of the updates and
    safety problems have to do with IE/OE, why people haven't added
    2 and 2 is beyond me.

    3.
    You probably will not be able to remove all the updates and crap
    which have made your systems slow, so you may have to start from
    scratch.

    Hope this helps a little.

    You can search for "Win98 tweaks updates" (no ") on Google and
    you will find a number of ***NON-MS*** sites listing all the
    updates avail. AND offering them for DL. There ARE a few you MAY
    want to install although they are PROBABLY unnecessary. Those
    sites will help you decide since they tell you exactly what is
    what.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  3. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    thanatoid writes:

    > "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote in
    > news:1188063241.145462.89190@r23g2000prd.googlegro ups.com:
    >
    > > Hi everybody!
    > >
    > > I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems
    > > have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because it
    > > has all functionality I need. I do not know why, because
    > > they were running fine. No other software has been added
    > > after last updates from Microsoft site. I am taking about 8
    > > computers in different places, included mine at home.
    > > Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10 seconds to start.
    > > Has anybody noted this?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your comments.
    > >
    > > Marco.

    > 1.
    > Anyone who uses IE/OE (hog, bloat, crap, badly designed, slow as
    > hell, VERY open to online dangers) is insane. Use Opera,

    I used to actually believe the speed claims about Opera, but as much
    as I dislike m$ as much as the next guy, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to
    say "bull****" to your diatribe above.

    Last week I resurrected an old machine P133 128MB and put Win98SE on
    it. Lousy as the design is in IE, it's part of the OS for better or
    worse, and that does seem to pay some speed dividends. IE is a lot of
    things, but I'm afraid we can't call it slow. IE left Opera and
    Mozilla in the dust on that machine as tested, each running one at a
    time.

    Remove "slow as hell" from your list, and I have no quibble.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    On Aug 26, 2:10 pm, thanatoid wrote:
    > "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote innews:1188063241.145462.89190@r23g2000prd.googleg roups.com:
    >
    > > Hi everybody!

    > > I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems
    > > have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because it
    > > has all functionality I need. I do not know why, because
    > > they were running fine. No other software has been added
    > > after last updates from Microsoft site. I am taking about 8
    > > computers in different places, included mine at home.
    > > Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10 seconds to start.
    > > Has anybody noted this?

    > > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    > > Marco.

    > 1.
    > Anyone who uses IE/OE (hog, bloat, crap, badly designed, slow as
    > hell, VERY open to online dangers) is insane. Use Opera,
    > OffByOne, nPoP (or ANY of the dozens of other good e-mail
    > programs), XNews, GrabIt. So get rid of as much of it as you can
    > and never use it and make sure it's not in startup. You CAN get
    > rid of it entirely and all your machines will thank you for it.
    > Check outwww.litepc.com.
    >
    > 2.
    > 98 doesn't really need any updates, especially if you don't use
    > the above mentioned piece of crap. 99.5% of the updates and
    > safety problems have to do with IE/OE, why people haven't added
    > 2 and 2 is beyond me.
    >
    > 3.
    > You probably will not be able to remove all the updates and crap
    > which have made your systems slow, so you may have to start from
    > scratch.
    >
    > Hope this helps a little.
    >
    > You can search for "Win98 tweaks updates" (no ") on Google and
    > you will find a number of ***NON-MS*** sites listing all the
    > updates avail. AND offering them for DL. There ARE a few you MAY
    > want to install although they are PROBABLY unnecessary. Those
    > sites will help you decide since they tell you exactly what is
    > what.
    >
    > --
    > "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    > - illyria

    OK, the reason of all this is because after last updates, the systems
    were working fine, i. e. fast and reliably but then, as time was
    passing by, the computer became slower than before. Example, the
    Windows Media Player 7.0 could play .mpegs smoothly but now is choppy,
    with many pauses: very uncomfortably. I have to use Windows Media
    Player 6.4, the one that came originally with WIN98SE. I like Win98Se
    because I think is the "less worst" M$ OpSys, and as thantoid says, is
    very fast. In general Win98 is fast but only on some spots (Ie6.0 ,WMP
    7) it is slower than before. All this made me suspect about some kind
    of time-date triggered program that could make system slower only to
    force you to migrate to XP/Vista. Paranoid.

    What do you think about?

    Regards,

    Marco.

  5. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in

    > thanatoid writes:
    >
    >> "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote in
    >> news:1188063241.145462.89190@r23g2000prd.googlegro ups.com:
    >>
    >> > Hi everybody!
    >> >
    >> > I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems
    >> > have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because
    >> > it has all functionality I need. I do not know why,
    >> > because they were running fine. No other software has
    >> > been added after last updates from Microsoft site. I am
    >> > taking about 8 computers in different places, included
    >> > mine at home. Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10
    >> > seconds to start. Has anybody noted this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for your comments.
    >> >
    >> > Marco.

    >> 1.
    >> Anyone who uses IE/OE (hog, bloat, crap, badly designed,
    >> slow as hell, VERY open to online dangers) is insane. Use
    >> Opera,

    > I used to actually believe the speed claims about Opera,
    > but as much as I dislike m$ as much as the next guy, I'm
    > afraid I'm gonna have to say "bull****" to your diatribe
    > above.
    >
    > Last week I resurrected an old machine P133 128MB and put
    > Win98SE on it. Lousy as the design is in IE, it's part of
    > the OS for better or worse, and that does seem to pay some
    > speed dividends. IE is a lot of things, but I'm afraid we
    > can't call it slow. IE left Opera and Mozilla in the dust
    > on that machine as tested, each running one at a time.
    >
    > Remove "slow as hell" from your list, and I have no
    > quibble.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    Well, I only said slow as hell because that's what I often see
    in these groups. I haven't used IE in about 8 years. I use
    OffByOne 99.5% of the time, and it as almost as fast as Lynx
    while still doing almost everything (except Java and flash -
    which I consider advantages).

    I recently tried Firefox and Opera is faster and uses about half
    the memory. In fact I thought Firefox was crap. But that's
    another subject I suppose.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  6. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote in
    news:1188224343.144702.109960@x35g2000prf.googlegr oups.com:

    > On Aug 26, 2:10 pm, thanatoid
    > wrote:
    >> "Marco A. Cruz Quevedo" wrote
    >> innews:1188063241.145462.89190@r23g2000prd.googleg roups.com
    >> :
    >>
    >> > Hi everybody!

    >> > I have noted since last updates to Win98SE, the systems
    >> > have been getting slower. I am still using Win98 because
    >> > it has all functionality I need. I do not know why,
    >> > because they were running fine. No other software has
    >> > been added after last updates from Microsoft site. I am
    >> > taking about 8 computers in different places, included
    >> > mine at home. Specially IE6.0, sometimes takes upto 10
    >> > seconds to start. Has anybody noted this?

    >> > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    >> > Marco.

    >> 1.
    >> Anyone who uses IE/OE (hog, bloat, crap, badly designed,
    >> slow as hell, VERY open to online dangers) is insane. Use
    >> Opera, OffByOne, nPoP (or ANY of the dozens of other good
    >> e-mail programs), XNews, GrabIt. So get rid of as much of
    >> it as you can and never use it and make sure it's not in
    >> startup. You CAN get rid of it entirely and all your
    >> machines will thank you for it. Check outwww.litepc.com.
    >>
    >> 2.
    >> 98 doesn't really need any updates, especially if you
    >> don't use the above mentioned piece of crap. 99.5% of the
    >> updates and safety problems have to do with IE/OE, why
    >> people haven't added 2 and 2 is beyond me.
    >>
    >> 3.
    >> You probably will not be able to remove all the updates
    >> and crap which have made your systems slow, so you may
    >> have to start from scratch.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps a little.
    >>
    >> You can search for "Win98 tweaks updates" (no ") on Google
    >> and you will find a number of ***NON-MS*** sites listing
    >> all the updates avail. AND offering them for DL. There ARE
    >> a few you MAY want to install although they are PROBABLY
    >> unnecessary. Those sites will help you decide since they
    >> tell you exactly what is what.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    >> - illyria

    > OK, the reason of all this is because after last updates,
    > the systems were working fine, i. e. fast and reliably but
    > then, as time was passing by, the computer became slower
    > than before. Example, the Windows Media Player 7.0 could
    > play .mpegs smoothly but now is choppy, with many pauses:
    > very uncomfortably. I have to use Windows Media Player 6.4,
    > the one that came originally with WIN98SE. I like Win98Se
    > because I think is the "less worst" M$ OpSys, and as
    > thantoid says, is very fast. In general Win98 is fast but
    > only on some spots (Ie6.0 ,WMP 7) it is slower than before.
    > All this made me suspect about some kind of time-date
    > triggered program that could make system slower only to
    > force you to migrate to XP/Vista. Paranoid.

    Well, yes, MS *IS* doing everything possible to make Vista the
    only OS allowed by law in the entire world, but it will take a
    few more years. But using new version of programs with old
    versions of an OS is bound to cause problems. But who the hell
    needs Office 2007? Office 95 or 97 is JUST FINE if you MUST have
    it, and floppy office from http://www.xtort.net/office-and-
    productivity/floppy-office/ is even better.

    OTOH, no, you just did not follow the "if it ain't broke don't
    fix it" axiom. Like I told you, 99.5% if not 100% MS "updates"
    and "patches" are only necessary of you use IE and Office, which
    IMHO no reasonable person does, except those trapped in
    corporate.

    Also, check the sizes of IE6 vs what you had before, check the
    size of the patches you unnecessarily installed, and check the
    size of WMP 7 vs. earlier. Your answers lie there.
    (www.oldversion.com is handy for that, as well as for getting
    the older, smaller and usually better versions of MANY
    programs.)

    There is a media player "classic" which is ver. 6.4
    modified/tweaked by geeks, or something, I don't recall. Maybe
    it's just 6.4 - oldversion has it. Uninstall 7 (good luck) and
    put the "classic" in. Also, get the free VLC
    (http://www.videolan.org) since it will play practically
    anything you throw at it. Except WM crap of course. (Thank you
    MS.)

    Get rid of IE (whatever version you have) or just NEVER use it
    and use something else (see my first reply).

    ANYTHING else is better. If you don't care about java, popup
    windows, malware, redirects, ugly graphics, and flash "intros"
    which take 20 minutes to DL, use OffByOne (www.offbyone.com). It
    is a marvel of speed and is 100% safe against everything.

    You might also consider adding some memory. I have 98SELite
    running on a 2GHz with 256 RAM and it's just fine. But I admit
    512 of RAM would be finer. Anything above that is probably
    pointless, depends on whether you use some very hairy programs,
    which you probably don't.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  7. Re: Slower Windows 98SE

    On Aug 27, 11:38 pm, thanatoid wrote:
> [...]

    > > only on some spots (Ie6.0 ,WMP 7) it is slower than before.
    > > All this made me suspect about some kind of time-date
    > > triggered program that could make system slower only to
    > > force you to migrate to XP/Vista. Paranoid.

    > Well, yes, MS *IS* doing everything possible to make Vista the
    > only OS allowed by law in the entire world, but it will take a
    > few more years. But using new version of programs with old
    > versions of an OS is bound to cause problems. But who the hell
    > needs Office 2007? Office 95 or 97 is JUST FINE if you MUST have
    > it, and floppy office fromhttp://www.xtort.net/office-and-
    > productivity/floppy-office/ is even better.
    >
    > OTOH, no, you just did not follow the "if it ain't broke don't
    > fix it" axiom. Like I told you, 99.5% if not 100% MS "updates"
    > and "patches" are only necessary of you use IE and Office, which
    > IMHO no reasonable person does, except those trapped in

    Well, I installed all the necessary patches to Win98SE, as indicated
    by Belarc (http://www.belarc.com, which I recommend very much),
    because before that, the systems hung and crashed often, and it was
    until last update when systems were OK, and in general, there are
    running fine. But sometimes, any MS program (IE, WMP ) do not work as
    they should.

    > Also, check the sizes of IE6 vs what you had before, check the
    > size of the patches you unnecessarily installed, and check the
    > size of WMP 7 vs. earlier. Your answers lie there.
    > (www.oldversion.comis handy for that, as well as for getting
    > the older, smaller and usually better versions of MANY
    > programs.)
    >
    > There is a media player "classic" which is ver. 6.4
    > modified/tweaked by geeks, or something, I don't recall. Maybe
    > it's just 6.4 - oldversion has it. Uninstall 7 (good luck) and
    > put the "classic" in. Also, get the free VLC
    > (http://www.videolan.org) since it will play practically
    > anything you throw at it. Except WM crap of course. (Thank you
    > MS.)

    I Have both versions, WMP 6.4 plays mpegs fine, but WMP 7 does not. I
    remember that WMP7 used to play mpegs fine but something must have
    happened (I have to check further).

    > Get rid of IE (whatever version you have) or just NEVER use it
    > and use something else (see my first reply).
    >
    > ANYTHING else is better. If you don't care about java, popup
    > windows, malware, redirects, ugly graphics, and flash "intros"
    > which take 20 minutes to DL, use OffByOne (www.offbyone.com). It
    > is a marvel of speed and is 100% safe against everything.
    >
    > You might also consider adding some memory. I have 98SELite
    > running on a 2GHz with 256 RAM and it's just fine. But I admit
    > 512 of RAM would be finer. Anything above that is probably
    > pointless, depends on whether you use some very hairy programs,
    > which you probably don't.

    Anyway, thank you for the hints about software. I am going to give
    them a try.

    > --
    > "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    > - illyria

+ Reply to Thread