ftp question - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on ftp question - Microsoft Windows ; I have windows 98 and I can't connect to my work ftp site. I have tried checking connections settings, connection security, and Internet options and under that section there is not a box to click to enable ftp sites. What ...

  1. ftp question

    I have windows 98 and I can't connect to my work ftp site. I have
    tried checking connections settings, connection security, and Internet
    options and under that section there is not a box to click to enable
    ftp sites. What can I do besides upgrade? Thanks!

  2. Re: ftp question

    Natalieruge@msn.com wrote in
    news:1187458449.432956.89220@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com:

    > I have windows 98 and I can't connect to my work ftp site.
    > I have tried checking connections settings, connection
    > security, and Internet options and under that section there
    > is not a box to click to enable ftp sites. What can I do
    > besides upgrade? Thanks!

    Upgrading rarely solves anything, in spite of what everyone
    thanks.
    FTP is an ancient protocol and nothing has changed. The only
    thing I can think of is that your firewall may have started
    blocking the FTP port. Check that, and if that is not the case,
    uninstall your FTP program **completely** and install it again
    and make sure the url's for where you want to connect are all
    entered correctly. If you have a hosts file, check it. Make sure
    no one changed the name of your work ftp site.

    You can also try 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  3. Re: ftp question

    in spite of what everyone THINKS (of course)(just woke up)

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

  4. Re: ftp question

    Natalieruge@msn.com writes:

    > I have windows 98 and I can't connect to my work ftp site. I have
    > tried checking connections settings, connection security, and Internet
    > options and under that section there is not a box to click to enable
    > ftp sites. What can I do besides upgrade? Thanks!

    I just happen to have a win98 SE machine here that I just wiped and
    reinstalled win98 on to give to a family member (pentium 133 maxed out
    with 128MB--woo!).

    Ftp works fine on it from here, and I'm even behind a NAT router. I
    used ftp.freebsd.org GET pub/README.TXT to test, for what it's worth.
    Perhaps you can try that to eliminate a win98 config issue and focus
    more on what's unique about your work ftp server.

    For now all I can help you with is the assurance that command line ftp
    in win98 SE can work just fine.

    If your work ftp site is behind a VPN, you may be getting blocked by
    the VPN client, personal firewall software installed, hardware router
    issues perhaps, or any number of things.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: ftp question

    wrote in message news:1187458449.432956.89220@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com...
    > I have windows 98 and I can't connect to my work ftp site. I have
    > tried checking connections settings, connection security, and Internet
    > options and under that section there is not a box to click to enable
    > ftp sites. What can I do besides upgrade? Thanks!

    Please describe what happens when you try to connect.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread