Help - malware denies access to Control Panel - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Help - malware denies access to Control Panel - Microsoft Windows ; Group, I am trying to fix a friend's computer. Dell XPS with XP Home. Several user accounts, including Guest (not my idea), assuming all have admin rights. Got a horrible hijacker malware program which Spybot can't remove, it just removes ...

  1. Help - malware denies access to Control Panel

    Group,

    I am trying to fix a friend's computer.
    Dell XPS with XP Home.
    Several user accounts, including Guest (not my idea), assuming all
    have admin rights.
    Got a horrible hijacker malware program which Spybot can't remove, it
    just removes the 85 exe's the prograrm downloads. I can get rid of the
    exe once she finds her XP disk (figures, doesn't it?), but that's not
    the real problem.
    This program is a real bitch, it didn't want me to install spybot, had
    to disconnect from the internet.
    Now, it has disabled access privileges to Control Panel for all users
    by Guest, who can't do anything anyway.
    I see 2 alternatives, but need help with both:
    1. I can reset the administrator password and get it with that, but I
    don't see administrator on the user login list. How do I log in with
    administrator?
    2. Is there I way I can reenable access to control panel for the admin
    users?

    Any suggestiongs greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Julie

  2. Re: Help - malware denies access to Control Panel

    To have full administrator privileges with WinXP home you must use the Administrator account in safe mode.

    Julie Warden wrote:

    > Group,
    >
    > I am trying to fix a friend's computer.
    > Dell XPS with XP Home.
    > Several user accounts, including Guest (not my idea), assuming all
    > have admin rights.
    > Got a horrible hijacker malware program which Spybot can't remove, it
    > just removes the 85 exe's the prograrm downloads. I can get rid of the
    > exe once she finds her XP disk (figures, doesn't it?), but that's not
    > the real problem.
    > This program is a real bitch, it didn't want me to install spybot, had
    > to disconnect from the internet.
    > Now, it has disabled access privileges to Control Panel for all users
    > by Guest, who can't do anything anyway.
    > I see 2 alternatives, but need help with both:
    > 1. I can reset the administrator password and get it with that, but I
    > don't see administrator on the user login list. How do I log in with
    > administrator?
    > 2. Is there I way I can reenable access to control panel for the admin
    > users?
    >
    > Any suggestiongs greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Julie

  3. Re: Help - malware denies access to Control Panel

    Julie Warden writes:

    > Group,
    >
    > I am trying to fix a friend's computer.
    > Dell XPS with XP Home.
    > Several user accounts, including Guest (not my idea), assuming all
    > have admin rights.
    > Got a horrible hijacker malware program which Spybot can't remove, it
    > just removes the 85 exe's the prograrm downloads. I can get rid of the
    > exe once she finds her XP disk (figures, doesn't it?), but that's not
    > the real problem.
    > This program is a real bitch, it didn't want me to install spybot, had
    > to disconnect from the internet.
    > Now, it has disabled access privileges to Control Panel for all users
    > by Guest, who can't do anything anyway.
    > I see 2 alternatives, but need help with both:
    > 1. I can reset the administrator password and get it with that, but I
    > don't see administrator on the user login list. How do I log in with
    > administrator?
    > 2. Is there I way I can reenable access to control panel for the admin
    > users?
    >
    > Any suggestiongs greatly appreciated.

    That machine is hosed and can't be trusted no matter how much you can
    "clean it up."

    Backup their data to an external drive or CD if you can.
    Reinstall the operating system. Dell I believe has a fairly easy way
    to do the reinstall if you're willing to make the leap that the
    malware infection hasn't infected the reinstallation partition of the
    disk.

    This may sound drastic, but you'll be done in a very well defined
    amount of time this way and have good confidence you're starting
    fresh. You could be chasing your tail for days otherwise.

    If you'd like to do some tail chasing, you can give ntpasswd a shot:
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    And this collection of freely available av scanners is pretty handy
    too. Try Procedure #2 involving multi_av.exe first:
    http://claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

    After you've had enuogh fun with that though, give your friend smoe
    piece of mind and rebuild his system (and if internet
    connected...make sure it's behind a hardware firewall and no other
    machines on teh LAN (which may also be infected) are on the LAN at the
    time so you can download all the windows updates.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread