Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, I installed Windows 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop and I can't find any drivers for the following devices: ethernet controller network controller pci simple communications controller I used to have XP on this laptop and everything ran ...

  1. Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    Hello,

    I installed Windows 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop and I can't
    find any drivers for the following devices:
    ethernet controller
    network controller
    pci simple communications controller

    I used to have XP on this laptop and everything ran fine, but far too
    slowly, hence the Win2000 install. Where can I find the drivers for
    these devices?

    Thanks,
    * Robinson

  2. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    Mirror Spock writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed Windows 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop and I can't
    > find any drivers for the following devices:
    > ethernet controller
    > network controller
    > pci simple communications controller
    >
    > I used to have XP on this laptop and everything ran fine, but far too
    > slowly, hence the Win2000 install. Where can I find the drivers for
    > these devices?

    If XP ran slowly, Win2k won't necessarily be that much quicker. But
    all the same, Lenovo (who bought IBM's PC business) should have those
    goodies on their support site.

    You'll need your product number from the bottom of the laptop (it's
    more specifi than "T21" to find your drivers:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si....do?country=us

    Or try here:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4JSQHB

    Lenovo still draws a lot of content off ibm.com apparently. :-)

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    Mirror Spock writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed Windows 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop and I can't
    > find any drivers for the following devices:
    > ethernet controller
    > network controller
    > pci simple communications controller
    >
    > I used to have XP on this laptop and everything ran fine, but far too
    > slowly, hence the Win2000 install. Where can I find the drivers for
    > these devices?

    Oh, and speed is best addressed with memory on these. How much ya
    got? I may actually ahve about a gig of memory for that system here
    that I'll accept an offer on. My email is tdh (at) the domain
    above. Email me your machine and model type number and I can verify
    that what I have works fr your system. It came from my old T23.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    On 14 Aug 2007 11:26:46 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Mirror Spock writes:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I installed Windows 2000 on an IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop and I can't
    >> find any drivers for the following devices:
    >> ethernet controller
    >> network controller
    >> pci simple communications controller
    >>
    >> I used to have XP on this laptop and everything ran fine, but far too
    >> slowly, hence the Win2000 install. Where can I find the drivers for
    >> these devices?

    >If XP ran slowly, Win2k won't necessarily be that much quicker. But
    >all the same, Lenovo (who bought IBM's PC business) should have those
    >goodies on their support site.
    >
    >You'll need your product number from the bottom of the laptop (it's
    >more specifi than "T21" to find your drivers:
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si....do?country=us
    >
    >Or try here:
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4JSQHB
    >
    >Lenovo still draws a lot of content off ibm.com apparently. :-)
    >

    >Best Regards,

    Well, I am having troubles with those driver programs. One creates a
    ..BIN file (supposedly a floppy image) and I am not sure how to turn
    the .BIN into a bootable disk. The other one, intlbtag.exe, refuses
    to work in Windows 2000. It will run in XP, but that machine doesn't
    have a functioning floppy drive.

    * Robinson

  5. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    Mirror Spock writes:

    > Well, I am having troubles with those driver programs. One creates a
    > .BIN file (supposedly a floppy image) and I am not sure how to turn
    > the .BIN into a bootable disk.

    Details of which driver program you're talking about would be helpful
    to point you in the right direction. Did you read teh accompanying
    readme? It'd be unusual for them to not include pointers to the
    utility that puts the .BIN image onto a floppy.

    > The other one, intlbtag.exe, refuses to work in Windows 2000.

    Details would help us help you.

    > It will run in XP, but that machine doesn't have a functioning
    > floppy drive.

    Oy... Okay, what machine has XP on it?

    Make sure to read the README's. It's possible that you're trying to
    install a driver for hardware your machine lacks.
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs...s/intlbtag.txt

    I'm not sure the boot agent is necessarily needed to be updated for
    the device you listed.

    You're best served by searching up drivers after inputting your full
    model number/ machine type XXXX-TTT into the web site versus just
    trying to wing it off T21. These generic T marketing model numbers
    encompass many different permutations of hardware under them. You'll
    need to know exactly what hardware you've got to get the right driver
    at this point. If you can post your model/type it'd be a lot easier
    to help you.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    On 15 Aug 2007 00:22:50 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Mirror Spock writes:
    >
    >> Well, I am having troubles with those driver programs. One creates a
    >> .BIN file (supposedly a floppy image) and I am not sure how to turn
    >> the .BIN into a bootable disk.

    >Details of which driver program you're talking about would be helpful
    >to point you in the right direction. Did you read teh accompanying
    >readme? It'd be unusual for them to not include pointers to the
    >utility that puts the .BIN image onto a floppy.
    >
    >> The other one, intlbtag.exe, refuses to work in Windows 2000.

    >Details would help us help you.
    >
    >> It will run in XP, but that machine doesn't have a functioning
    >> floppy drive.

    >Oy... Okay, what machine has XP on it?
    >
    >Make sure to read the README's. It's possible that you're trying to
    >install a driver for hardware your machine lacks.
    > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs...s/intlbtag.txt
    >
    >I'm not sure the boot agent is necessarily needed to be updated for
    >the device you listed.
    >
    >You're best served by searching up drivers after inputting your full
    >model number/ machine type XXXX-TTT into the web site versus just
    >trying to wing it off T21. These generic T marketing model numbers
    >encompass many different permutations of hardware under them. You'll
    >need to know exactly what hardware you've got to get the right driver
    >at this point. If you can post your model/type it'd be a lot easier
    >to help you.
    >
    >Best Regards,

    I just didn't dig deep enough. I did as you suggested and everything
    is working fine. I still don't have the pci simplee communications
    driver, but I don't seem to need it.

    Thanks for your help!

    * Robinson

  7. Re: Driver problems with Win2000 on an older laptop

    Mirror Spock writes:

    > I just didn't dig deep enough. I did as you suggested and everything
    > is working fine. I still don't have the pci simplee communications
    > driver, but I don't seem to need it.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > * Robinson

    Groovy. Glad the banter helped.