Internet Explorer won't work - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Internet Explorer won't work - Microsoft Windows ; My computer crashed the other day. When it re-booted, IE6 wouldn't work. I get an application error which says "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x02536b65." I have re-installed Windows (I'm using Win2K Professional) ...

  1. Internet Explorer won't work

    My computer crashed the other day. When it re-booted, IE6 wouldn't
    work. I get an application error which says "The exception unknown
    software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at
    location 0x02536b65."

    I have re-installed Windows (I'm using Win2K Professional) and also
    re-installed IE but it makes no difference. I still get the same
    error.

    Obviously I can access the web as I am sending this but my email
    program (Eudora) Will not send mail although it will receive.

    I'm at my wits end. I don't want to install a new version of Win2K as
    I have so many programs to re-load if I do.

    Any help would br appreciated.

    Stu

  2. Re: Internet Explorer won't work

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    > My computer crashed the other day. When it re-booted, IE6 wouldn't
    > work. I get an application error which says "The exception unknown
    > software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at
    > location 0x02536b65."
    >
    > I have re-installed Windows (I'm using Win2K Professional) and also
    > re-installed IE but it makes no difference. I still get the same
    > error.
    >
    > Obviously I can access the web as I am sending this but my email
    > program (Eudora) Will not send mail although it will receive.

    That means therefore that you have some sort of internet connection at
    least. Perhaps try dleting everything to do with IE (whatever you find
    wherever) so that it forces a new installation of IE to really
    re-install rather than having a quick look (as I have the impression it
    does) and saying to itself 'oh it's OK, the files are there, we'll just
    say the installation has succeeded'. Ohterwise, of course, you could try
    another browser and see if that helps.

    > I'm at my wits end. I don't want to install a new version of Win2K as
    > I have so many programs to re-load if I do.

    I hear you brother

  3. Re: Internet Explorer won't work

    On 14 Aug, 13:43, "John of Aix" wrote:

    > > I'm at my wits end. I don't want to install a new version of Win2K as
    > > I have so many programs to re-load if I do.

    > I hear you brother

    That Gamages deaf-aid still works then?

  4. Re: Internet Explorer won't work

    penult@ntlworld.com writes:
    > My computer crashed the other day. When it re-booted, IE6 wouldn't
    > work. I get an application error which says "The exception unknown
    > software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at
    > location 0x02536b65."
    >
    > I have re-installed Windows (I'm using Win2K Professional) and also
    > re-installed IE but it makes no difference. I still get the same
    > error.
    >
    > Obviously I can access the web as I am sending this but my email
    > program (Eudora) Will not send mail although it will receive.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end. I don't want to install a new version of Win2K as
    > I have so many programs to re-load if I do.
    >
    > Any help would br appreciated.

    Hi Stu,

    Yeah these problems are frustrating as hell. Unfortunately it could
    be a lot of things including failing memory and/or a hard drive giong
    south on you.

    When you reinstalled windows, did you reformat the drive? Has chkdsk
    been run recently? A thorough memory diagnostic might help.

    This may be a good opportunity to try a Linux LiveCD of some flavor
    (Ubuntu is popular
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition) and try
    running and access the internet from that LiveCD for a while on your
    hardware to at least rule out motherboard and memory related issues.
    These LiveCD's unless you install them don't touch your windows setup
    at all and are perfectly safe to use.

    You could still have a failing hard drive or an irretrievably
    corrupted windows installation. Depending on how you did your
    re-install of win2k pro (still a fine OS by the way), you may not have
    rule out some of the many possible problems that could be causing your
    pain.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.