Win XP, change default drive - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Win XP, change default drive - Microsoft Windows ; Hi I am mainly used to using UNIX/Linux; but occasional I need to use windows. One thing I would like to change, is the default drive, as it is now the folder "My Documents" resides on drive C:, and installing ...

  1. Win XP, change default drive

    Hi I am mainly used to using UNIX/Linux; but occasional I need to use
    windows.

    One thing I would like to change, is the default drive, as it is now
    the folder "My Documents" resides on drive C:, and installing programs
    they default to install on drive C:.

    As I would like to use the C: drive for only the OS and scratch files
    on the C: drive, have Programs installed on D: drive, and have the data
    on the E: drive.

    Are there an registry setting, that can change this default behaver?

    Thanks Per

  2. Re: Win XP, change default drive

    Per Kofod wrote:
    > Hi I am mainly used to using UNIX/Linux; but occasional I need to use
    > windows.
    >

    > One thing I would like to change, is the default drive, as it is now
    > the folder "My Documents" resides on drive C:, and installing programs
    > they default to install on drive C:.
    >
    > As I would like to use the C: drive for only the OS and scratch files
    > on the C: drive, have Programs installed on D: drive, and have the data
    > on the E: drive.
    >
    > Are there an registry setting, that can change this default behaver?
    >
    > Thanks Per

    OK I found the solution fot "My Documents", as I could just right click
    on "My Documents", and change the properties.

    So the remaining quistion is, do we have a registry setting, that set
    the default drive to install programs on.

    It is cumbersome to manually change the drive, every time I install
    Software.

    Thanks Per

  3. Re: Win XP, change default drive

    OK Found the answers:

    The default install dir is specified in the Registry key:

    HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/ProgramFilesDir

    For the Documents location, just right click on "My Documents"
    and select Properties

    Per

    Per Kofod wrote:
    > Per Kofod wrote:
    >> Hi I am mainly used to using UNIX/Linux; but occasional I need to use
    >> windows.
    >>

    >> One thing I would like to change, is the default drive, as it is now
    >> the folder "My Documents" resides on drive C:, and installing programs
    >> they default to install on drive C:.
    >>
    >> As I would like to use the C: drive for only the OS and scratch files
    >> on the C: drive, have Programs installed on D: drive, and have the data
    >> on the E: drive.
    >>
    >> Are there an registry setting, that can change this default behaver?
    >>
    >> Thanks Per

    > OK I found the solution fot "My Documents", as I could just right click
    > on "My Documents", and change the properties.
    >
    > So the remaining quistion is, do we have a registry setting, that set
    > the default drive to install programs on.
    >
    > It is cumbersome to manually change the drive, every time I install
    > Software.
    >
    > Thanks Per

  4. Re: Win XP, change default drive

    Per Kofod wrote:
    > OK Found the answers:
    >
    > The default install dir is specified in the Registry key:
    >
    > HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/ProgramFilesDir
    >
    > For the Documents location, just right click on "My Documents"
    > and select Properties

    Three messages but finally you solved the poblem yourself. I could say
    RTFM but I won't ;-)

    Yes it suffices to change the address of My Documents via a right click
    then Properties or edit by hand in the registry. You can also use
    Tweakui and similar for this sort of Windows tweak.

  5. Re: Win XP, change default drive

    Also change CommonFilesDir

    --
    Mike Walsh